How to choose a uni?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

Re: How to choose a uni?

Post by Tinkers »

I didn’t even see DDs PS until after she had submitted it. She was allocated a UCAS mentor at school, who helped her plan her PS, then reviewed and checked it, before it went to the head of sixth form for final approval. They do this every year for over a hundred students. I did a PS once many years ago, for a completely different course. They are the experts, I considered myself a liability in the process and would probably give out of date advice.

It’s their PS so if they ask you for help/advice or even just sanity checking and proofreading, then that’s wonderful they would like your input, but don't expect them to want you involved.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

We only heard the gist of DC’s PS few weeks back after his Uni place was confirmed. And now he asked for and got the place deferred in favour of some work experience and some travelling, if covid situation permits.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Snowdaddy wrote:....

Also check what the schools deadlines are, they will want drafts by certain date as it takes time to write 100+ references
References tend to be written in the summer of Year 12 to cover any staff leaving [or worse] over the summer. This year they might be revisited now students are back but the bulk of the work is already done.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:

Also check what the schools deadlines are, they will want drafts by certain date as it takes time to write 100+ references
References tend to be written in the summer of Year 12 to cover any staff leaving [or worse] over the summer. This year they might be revisited now students are back but the bulk of the work is already done.
Makes sense, really - but here was I thinking that DS2's school was committing numbers of staff to a Christmas holiday writing references, as the January deadline deadline, so to speak, is December 18th, apparently :lol:.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Guest55 wrote:

DS1 & 2's were written on the hoof in late November/early December. I remember it well.
scary mum
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Tinkers wrote:I didn’t even see DDs PS until after she had submitted it. She was allocated a UCAS mentor at school, who helped her plan her PS, then reviewed and checked it, before it went to the head of sixth form for final approval. They do this every year for over a hundred students. I did a PS once many years ago, for a completely different course. They are the experts, I considered myself a liability in the process and would probably give out of date advice.

It’s their PS so if they ask you for help/advice or even just sanity checking and proofreading, then that’s wonderful they would like your input, but don't expect them to want you involved.
I never saw DD's PS. School allocated a 'collator' to review PS, check that she had all the right references etc. I had no involvement at all.
She totally went with gut feel - lots of people said her choice of uni for her course was not the most respected but it was the place she liked best at open day, the interview she enjoyed the most (by a mile) and the setup/delivery of course that appealed most (small cohort, lots of small group work).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Upcoming virtual open days:

Kent - October 3rd https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit/op ... l-open-day
Warwick - October 9th, 10th, 24th and 26th https://opendays.warwick.ac.uk/
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Exeter university: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/visit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Live chats with academic staff: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/visit/livechats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Reading uni virtual open days

3rd and 10th October

https://na.eventscloud.com/ereg/newreg. ... tid=570028&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

My DD has just started at Coventry after taking a year out. (applied and deferred)
When she started looking the criteria was which Uni's were closest to venues for concerts (oh how times change :( )
After looking around a fair few she decided that she really wanted to commute with the option of staying away if she could cope later.
Pastoral care and support was also a major consideration for her.
Whether it was a RG Uni or not and requirements didn't come into it for her (she has the grades for RG Uni's), but she did want a Uni with accreditation for the course she chose, and with global opportunities.
A friend's DD went to Nottingham after starting her look based on which Uni's would be best for continuing the sport she does.
Good luck with your search.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now