How to choose a uni?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Re: How to choose a uni?

Post by doodles »

I would start with making a list of those that do Nat Sci, then whittle down by other factors such as course content, type of uni (campus/city etc), distance (if that's important), teaching style etc etc
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
hwood

Post by hwood »

Yes, thank you, we are in the process
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

With all due respect, you should really let her do the research, make her own list and her own decisions. Choosing university is her decision - she has to be happy there, making adult decisions for three plus years so letting her do the leg work and discuss her choices with you is probably more beneficial.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Lancaster offers NatSci (a very flexible course, although of course it may not be quite so flexible at the moment, as a lot of universities are 'rationalising' their module offer).
Also Durham, Southampton, Leicester, Loughborough and Bath and a few other places.

I would also agree that 'it's only45 minutes from home' is a response to 'Why Cambridge?' that is best left unuttered. Even if home is only 45 minutes away, Cambridge has a residence requirement, so she wouldn't be able to just pop home for half the week, anyway.

UEA also offers NatSci - the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts has reopened, so you could have taken a detour to the campus on the way to or from the Broads :).

Although physical open days ate currently on hold, the virtual ones are an opportunity to interact with academics and students in the various departments, attend taster sessions via Zoom etc, take virtual tours and so on, which really has to be better than nothing?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

UCL and Imperial College London also offer degrees in Natural Sciences.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tiffinboys wrote:UCL and Imperial College London also offer degrees in Natural Sciences.
A timely reminder - the UCL open events are this week, it appears :)
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stude ... -open-days

Imperial's later in the month, over two weekends.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/visit/open-days/
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

kenyancowgirl wrote:With all due respect, you should really let her do the research, make her own list and her own decisions. Choosing university is her decision - she has to be happy there, making adult decisions for three plus years so letting her do the leg work and discuss her choices with you is probably more beneficial.
Not sure if this was aimed at me or Hwood but ofcourse I am letting my DD do most of the research and I am helping her.

But this is my first child and I am new to this. We discovered different league tables, subject rankings, student satisfaction rankings, TEF ratings and that some courses are accredited. What we don’t know, is how much importance to give to these things. TEF rating seems to suggest that some unis are better at teaching. For example the Derby has a gold rating and the course is accredited by two different societies. Bristol is an RG uni but it has a silver rating and the course is not accredited at all. Both courses have similar student satisfaction rating.

How would you decided between the two if that’s all you have to go on?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Blue_Marigold wrote:How would you decided between the two if that’s all you have to go on?
In that scenario I would steer DC towards Derby, as from what you say Bristol in this case has nothing going for it. However, I'd recommend DC did the research above (particularly on the cities and the virtual open days) and make their decision on that basis, rather than solely the above criteria. In particular you mention accreditation. It depends on the course but for some subjects a course not being accredited is a real problem, should that be the career DC wishes to pursue (eg Architecture, Engineering), for other courses it would be less meaningful/unheard of. I appreciate it is difficult, particularly this year. IME there is much to be said for 'gut feel'. Many years ago I chose my university on the basis of a little prospectus we had on our school's 'careers shelf'. There were only 10 institutions represented there and this one was the biggest city and non campus which I had decided was what I wanted (on the basis that I grew up in a small town with a campus university and hated it). It also had the highest grade requirements which in my mind made it 'better' - I was wrong clearly, and also had a little blog from a student who I decided sounded rather nice. It all turned out well. My point is perhaps that there is lots of luck to the decision and it is not really a science. Let DC have a look at the insinuations online and soon enough he/she will form a view I'm sure.
mad?
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

hwood wrote:Started Yr13 now, she is struggling with the personal statement and they sent this ucas link to start applying
Find out if the school is running UCAS briefing sessions, which might cover personal statements.

Also check what the schools deadlines are, they will want drafts by certain date as it takes time to write 100+ references

With UCAS it takes time to fill out the basic info, and enter all exams taken etc. You can save it and come back so get the easier bits done, leaving the personal statement and choices until later.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Snowdaddy wrote:
hwood wrote:Started Yr13 now, she is struggling with the personal statement and they sent this ucas link to start applying
Find out if the school is running UCAS briefing sessions, which might cover personal statements.

Also check what the schools deadlines are, they will want drafts by certain date as it takes time to write 100+ references

With UCAS it takes time to fill out the basic info, and enter all exams taken etc. You can save it and come back so get the easier bits done, leaving the personal statement and choices until later.
And the UCAS site itself is a mine of useful information (I'm tempted to add here, Who'd've thunk it?, but from forays into the 'Higher Ed' threads on an alternative internet forum populated mainly by a particular gender of parent, I can attest that looking on the actual flippin' website is not something that necessarily occurs to many :lol:) with very little of it restricted to e.g. those actually making an application. There are sections for the students themselves but those for their advisors (i.e. schools / 6th form colleges and those supporting independent applicants) and the HE providers are all publicly accessible. You can even sign up for 'parent' emails etc, so no need to feel ignorant about the process.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now