A levels 2022

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wildwest

A levels 2022

Post by wildwest »

Anyone on this journey?

DD is preparing for end of year exams which have been postponed to end of June, due to other year groups (GCSE and A level) taking priority. Seems like incredibly busy year ahead.
wildwest

Re: A levels 2022

Post by wildwest »

I was wondering if you DCs asked/took much help and guidance from you DPs with their PS? DD's school have asked them to submit their first draft by beginning of July and DD was flustered during half term, as she had to revise for the mocks and also firm up her PS. I thought that the deadline for UCAS submission is not until October or similar?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think I read a very late draft of DDs PS, but only when I had offered to check it for her and she asked me to. The schools know far better how and what to write. I think my main contribution on was to suggest she added a bit on some work experience she had done that she hadn’t (she’d forgotten) and obviously the school wouldn’t have known about.

The deadline for UCAS is mid October for Oxbridge and certain courses (like medicine) but the general deadline is January. However schools often have their own internal deadlines as they need to check the application and do their references.

There’s no need for her to get stressed at this stage. She just needs to think about why she has chosen the courses she is going to apply for. One of the unis at open day said that the PS should show (rather than tell) you interested in that subject. So get her to list things that ‘show’ etc. The school will help knock it into shape, but they can’t tell to write stuff if they don’t know about it.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think the schools don't want there to be a frantic panic in the autumn, better to start on the process early and think about it. DS did a draft, I suggested one word change and that was it - whereas some of his friends produced dozens of drafts - it just depends.
Other thing we found was that some people received offers, presumably based on grades, within hours of the application implying that the PS was probably not a big part of the success in being offered a place.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Tinkers wrote:I think I read a very late draft of DDs PS, but only when I had offered to check it for her and she asked me to. The schools know far better how and what to write. I think my main contribution on was to suggest she added a bit on some work experience she had done that she hadn’t (she’d forgotten) and obviously the school wouldn’t have known about.

The deadline for UCAS is mid October for Oxbridge and certain courses (like medicine) but the general deadline is January. However schools often have their own internal deadlines as they need to check the application and do their references.

There’s no need for her to get stressed at this stage. She just needs to think about why she has chosen the courses she is going to apply for. One of the unis at open day said that the PS should show (rather than tell) you interested in that subject. So get her to list things that ‘show’ etc. The school will help knock it into shape, but they can’t tell to write stuff if they don’t know about it.
thank you Tinkers. Yes, it is early entry. Perhaps it is my anxiety rather than hers. She has this idea (and lots of people she has spoken to have also suggested this) that she will do one thing at a time, ie get the mocks out of the way, then prepare the PS, then the entrance test etc and I sometimes worry that things may not work in that orderly way.

Very useful advice about 'showing' interest rather than 'telling'. Will pass it on
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

hermanmunster wrote:I think the schools don't want there to be a frantic panic in the autumn, better to start on the process early and think about it. DS did a draft, I suggested one word change and that was it - whereas some of his friends produced dozens of drafts - it just depends.
Other thing we found was that some people received offers, presumably based on grades, within hours of the application implying that the PS was probably not a big part of the success in being offered a place.
thanks Hermanmunster. It is rather varied, with people saying PS is important for some Universities than others and some suggesting PS is not even read. Regardless, they will have to do every step with equal commitment.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Definitely - much depends on the Uni and the subject, seemed that the speedy offers were often science based and often not the student's first choice of uni, nice to get the early offer though.

Main problem that some found with PS is that tend to be written for one subject or combination and often students vary what they apply for eg Liberal Arts / Combined Hons / History and French - could all appear on one UCAS form.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Both DS had their applications submitted by October half term (one was Oxbridge the other wasn't). As has been said I think the schools have their own timetables and some just like to get it out of the way. The Oxbridge DS was science and had all his offers back before Christmas (including Durham who I am told are usually late) and is now, thanks to that algorithm, very happily ensconced at a uni that wasn't even on his UCAS form.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

DD did it last year for early entry. Given that they weren't at school for the entire summer term I think they were asked to create first drafts during the summer holidays. She did 3 PSs in total I think, changing after suggestions from school.
I only got involved with looking at it when she was happy that it said what she wanted to say but then had to significantly edit it to reduce word count.
It's all so very different from my day when "I play grade 8 piano and enjoy reading" etc was strongly encouraged in the personal statement! So I wouldn't have been at all useful, had she asked for input at an earlier stage but cutting 5 words down to 2 is something I could help with.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 managed to completely misunderstanding when his school's (normal UCAS deadline) deadline was, but got his PS in on time 8n the end.

Far from needing pruning, it was actually held up on receipt in the sixth form office, whilst a discussion was had as to whether it was long enough to submit :lol:.

He got five offers. Rather niche subject, though, so not sure what the actual level of competition is.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now