Grammar Schools and A'levels

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
isamum

Post by isamum »

KB

Post by KB »

Not sure that the statement above about Universities only wanting 3 A levels is altogether correct.
Most will only ask for 3 in their offer and more than 3 is certainly not a pre-requisite but if you are applying for competitive courses/institutions then taking 4 'proper' A levels may well give you an advantage in the selection process.
Apart from anything else it demonstrates an ability to cope with workload/pressure that is required for medical/vet/Oxbridge etc
Each person's circumstances are different of course.
OxfordBoy

Post by OxfordBoy »

I'm at Oxford and plenty of people have three, even from the best independent schools. Of course there are also a large number with 4 A-levels and I agree that could give an advantage. However I think it is overstated and the most important thing is to demonstrate commitment and flair to ones chosen subject!
katel

Post by katel »

It's absolutely insane to do thousands of A Levels. 3 good solid academic subjects and time to spare for sport, Duke of Edinburgh, music, socializing, navel gazing, dance, hobbies, sleep.........this is the opinion of my dd's "outstanding" grammar school.
KB

Post by KB »

4 A levels still gives time for fun :)
There is a danger if you are at a school where 4 is the norm that questions will be asked by Oxbridge in particular if you are only doing 3.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

At KES, with a few exceptions (eg boys doing Maths and Further Maths) the boys are only allowed to do 3 A2s. They are also only allowed to do 10 GCSEs and don't do any of them early. I expect that if some pushy parents insisted really hard that their DS should do 4 or more A2s they would be allowed to, but it is useful to have that benchmark spelt out in advance so that the boys are less likely to be pressurised by their parents into taking on massive workloads. (Not sure whether that applies to the girls' school next door from what I have heard though, DS's female friends seem to do massive amounts of GCSEs and A2s.)
KB

Post by KB »

Not sure if its pushy parents or the school keen to boost league table position that encourages taking more subjects?
Think the usefulness of more subjects depends a bit on what you are planning to go on to do.
For the Natural Sciences course at Cambridge it def helps once you are there to have studied 3 sciences & maths/ further maths & 2 sciences. Whether it helps with the application process is a matter of debate :)
Be interesting to see if the introduction of A* grade leads to reduction in number of subjects taken as more work is needed in each subject to get the top grade?
Y

Post by Y »

Can anyone say whether having some lower grade GCSEs is likely to damage your prospects for entry to a top uni, if you have also have a string of top grade GCSEs? In other words, if you think you might 'only' get a C, or even a B for a subject, are you better to take it, or not to take it?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Can anyone say whether having some lower grade GCSEs is likely to damage your prospects for entry to a top uni, if you have also have a string of top grade GCSEs? In other words, if you think you might 'only' get a C, or even a B for a subject, are you better to take it, or not to take it?
For many top Russell League Universities the total number of A or A* grades in one sitting is key.

For example, to study Medicine at B/Ham you have to have at least 7A*s at GCSE before they will even look at your application.
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

8* this year!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now