moving to new 6th form

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

"And then there is the Durham question!?"

I really think you should not base any serious decision on something you read in a newspaper.

This news story appears every year. It makes good copy. It does not necessarily represent the experiences of the average 6th former applying to university.

Mike
another mother

Post by another mother »

Delta -
as I understand it the pros are: partly to be more 'normal' - she has a large body of friends from primary school and beyond who are in the state system, all happy and all doing very well - she has always been aware that her school is a bit of 'bubble' (sic)- albeit a happy one; politically at school she can be a lone voice - although I admire her for standing up for her views and reckon its not a bad thing to have learnt; she would have some funds (though by no means a debt free existence) for uni; she would move back into a mixed enviroment (she was adamant she wanted an all girls school at 11 but is now being to feel its a bit odd - and maybe less fun!!); some of her close friends are also talking about moving too and if they go, it will make staying less attractive.
On the other hand she does seem to really enjoy the academic stretch at her indie- and has certainly risen to the challenges and will presumably continue to do so - she has good friends at school, does lots of music, drama debating etc (initially partly because she knows how lucky she is to have had the opportunity - but also because it's her thing) and is really settled in lots of ways. And she is still a lovely girl (blush!)
Both she and we are nervous about disrupting what is working while seeing some positives! She wants to look at a couple of the boys indies- as others are doing so, but to be honest that would be even more expensive and I don't think we could stretch to it even if she did get keen - and I don't think she'd find that was so very different from where she is apart from the obvious!

MIke - I agree with you of course. All these reports are to be taken with a large pinch of salt and remembering the agenda of whichever learned organ is disseminating them!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now