University Open Days

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KB

Re: University Open Days

Post by KB »

All MFL courses should offer time in a native speaking country but do look at the details of how much help is actually provided in finding places to do this and how it fits into the rest of the course ( including assessment). Don't forget to look at costs for time away as well.

Getting details of where / what for the last few cohorts of students is usually helpful as opposed to the marketing blurb for all the wonderful opportunities supposedly available.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In addition to KB's points re year abroad. Do check that all modules options are offered every year. I know of at least one of my students who returned from his year abroad to find he had to 'wait' a year to get back in synch with the options he wanted for finals.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Does anyone have any useful insights on psychology at Uni - my eldest DD is currently thinking of that as her top choice - and it does seems to be a nice open option which allows many different career paths afterwards, however she is definitely more arty than a scientist - so if anyone has any comments on where might suit her I'd welcome all opinions. She's doing Psychology, English Literature & Art at A2, should get all A's / A*'s if she keeps going as she is, plus a probable A in her EPQ (which also has a psychology type topic in it).

Thanks! :D :D
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Pschyology is something DD has taken an interest in, particularly forensic pschyology and criminology.

From memory, when she looked I think a lot of courses preferred a science A level, but psychology A level wasn't required. However it might be acceptable in lieu of a science A level. She didn't look at that as her school don't offer it anyway. Worth looking at the various places to see. It was her that looked not me, so I may be remembering wrong.

Ideally one of the accredited courses from here.
http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/ac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From memory also Bath was a very good one.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Booklady - some courses can be quite analytical so she needs to look at the modules carefully. Some are BA and some BSc so that might give a clue.

Some courses might require A level Maths or Biology -

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a- ... psychology" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the links from the weblink above will help.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Booklady wrote:Does anyone have any useful insights on psychology at Uni - my eldest DD is currently thinking of that as her top choice - and it does seems to be a nice open option which allows many different career paths afterwards, however she is definitely more arty than a scientist - so if anyone has any comments on where might suit her I'd welcome all opinions. She's doing Psychology, English Literature & Art at A2, should get all A's / A*'s if she keeps going as she is, plus a probable A in her EPQ (which also has a psychology type topic in it).

Thanks! :D :D
The daughter of a friend of mine is doing Psychology, Art and History A levels and has an offer from Birmingham (AAA I think) - she really wants to go there as the course looks as though it is less science-focused than some others. I haven't looked at it myself of course but it might be worth looking at?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I did Psych at uni - generally 40% of a psych degree is Statistics. The majority require a specific level of maths/science - sometimes at GCSE, sometimes at A level, but certainly Psychology at A level is not a prerequisite (in fact I would venture to say doing something else can be beneficial!)

Check course content very carefully - there is a difference between BA/BSc courses - and often it is whether they are recognised by the BPS (not worth doing, if it isn't!)
Last edited by kenyancowgirl on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KB

Post by KB »

I would reiterate the points about finding a less science oriented course, which will be harder as the good ones aren't that common.

Do get her to think through the next step - most careers in the field are pretty competitive so apart from the course being suitable for her interests and providing entry to her next level of study or career I'd also look at links between a department and future opportunities.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Thanks to all - some good points here! The link showing which courses are recognised is great - and there are (a few) more arty ones in there!!

Much food for thought = thanks all!! :D :D