Disorganised Uni - how to complain

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
solimum

Re: Disorganised Uni - how to complain

Post by solimum »

Apologies RugbyMum - I meant "lowly" in the hierarchy of the university, rather than in any other characteristic - as a lowly Learning Support Assistant myself (with my very own 1st Class maths degree) I certainly didn't mean to impugn anyone else doing a job for which they might on paper be overqualified (and FWIW I would be hopeless at any kind of admin involving event management etc) .... But the Professor screwing up is also entirely plausible, and only indicates that he/his department is in need of some excellent administrative support. My OH left a fairly high-up job (not in a university) last year to set up his own consultancy, and one of the things he misses most (apart from the salary, company car, status etc...) is his superb PA who kept him organised, in the right place, at the right time, meeting the right people, with the right papers, for nearly 10 years....

(Edited to add)

What I should have written is that importance of good, efficient administration is very often overlooked - either (as in this case) it is assumed that academics can organise themselves, which is very often not true, or the support/admin teams are the first to be cut in times of austerity and are overworked/underpaid
KB

Post by KB »

Fwiw solimum that was how I read your use of "lowly' but I can understand why someone might have read it differently​.

Having worked at a University what I can't understand is how anyone thought it was a good idea for an academic to organise anything without supervision at the very least ;) :)
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

solimum wrote:Apologies RugbyMum - I meant "lowly" in the hierarchy of the university, rather than in any other characteristic - as a lowly Learning Support Assistant myself (with my very own 1st Class maths degree) I certainly didn't mean to impugn anyone else doing a job for which they might on paper be overqualified (and FWIW I would be hopeless at any kind of admin involving event management etc) .... But the Professor screwing up is also entirely plausible, and only indicates that he/his department is in need of some excellent administrative support. My OH left a fairly high-up job (not in a university) last year to set up his own consultancy, and one of the things he misses most (apart from the salary, company car, status etc...) is his superb PA who kept him organised, in the right place, at the right time, meeting the right people, with the right papers, for nearly 10 years....

(Edited to add)

What I should have written is that importance of good, efficient administration is very often overlooked - either (as in this case) it is assumed that academics can organise themselves, which is very often not true, or the support/admin teams are the first to be cut in times of austerity and are overworked/underpaid
Apology accepted and totally understood :)

I probably jumped to a different understanding due to the attitude of a member of staff I work with who does seem to think the admin team are "lowly" as in "beneath them".
Amber

Post by Amber »

KB wrote:​Having worked at a University what I can't understand is how anyone thought it was a good idea for an academic to organise anything without supervision at the very least ;) :)
Now I'm offended! :wink:
KB

Post by KB »

Amber wrote:
KB wrote:​Having worked at a University what I can't understand is how anyone thought it was a good idea for an academic to organise anything without supervision at the very least ;) :)
I'm sure you are the exception :)

Seriously, I'm sure there are perfectly well organised academics. One tends to recall the ones who caused difficulties rather than those who quietly got on with things!
Amber

Post by Amber »

KB wrote:
Amber wrote:
I'm sure you are the exception :)

Seriously, I'm sure there are perfectly well organised academics. One tends to recall the ones who caused difficulties rather than those who quietly got on with things!
I never do anything quietly.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now