Durham University offers

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KS10

Re: Durham University offers

Post by KS10 »

Well done to your DD, bondgirl. I'm sure she will make the right decision for her. I have to say though I wish someone had had a word with me when I was at school. We were shoved in a room and told to research university courses ourselves. I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I don't suppose it's like that today.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Same here KS10 :lol: My main consideration when I completed my UCCA (that long ago!) application were universities as far from my home town as I could find. I ended up about 300 miles away so I think I was quite successful!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

O levels and UCCA for me to and 430.4 miles from home but certainly not trying to be so far away, just really liked the course. I was not in a financial position to visit any of my choices.

Still no Durham offer for dd1 so she has actually missed all the offer days whereas dd2 could take her pick.

22 weeks. DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I can't understand someone not visiting where they are going to live and study for 3/4 years! I visited all my choices on my own by public transport - none of them were near home. A couple I had to stay over because the interviews were so early. Visiting helped me decide which one I liked best and where I wanted to study.

I chose somewhere far enough so parents could not just drop in on me ...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I only visited the places I applied to when I went for interviews - 2 interviews, 2 unconditionals, liked both places.

I was working during my gap year so it wasn't so easy to get there other than for the interviews.

ETA - the 2 durham offers in this household came in in Dec and Feb I think.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would have loved to have visited all of my choices but I could not afford to visit any of them. I did not have the money to do so.

I am really glad that my dds have had the luxury to do so but this was an option not open to me. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My visits were for the interviews - many did interview in those days whereas DS didn't have one interview. I paid for them from my Saturday job.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Fortunately I did not have any interviews. My Saturday and holiday job money was required for rent. My grant included one return trip per term.

Back ti Durham.

Anyone had a student who got an offer in April or in May before the deadline on the 5th? DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Grants covered rent in those days DG. I worked over the summer holiday too.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes I know that. My full grant covered accommodation and one return train ticket each term. I am talking about the fact that I paid rent when I was in the sixth form and during all holidays while at University.

Back to Durham and late offers. Does any forum member know of any student getting an offer in April or early May before the deadline? DG