mad?

Re: Courses in clearing

Post by mad? »

Great news bondgirl congrats to DD
mad?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Brilliant news - Durham are known for keeping people waiting so this is great news :)
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Is this a plus side to IB over A level? Or do most Unis hold on until they have all the different exam results before making offers?

This A level system is for the birds, seriously!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Lots do wait - IB has a small entry in comparison to A level. The downsides of IB, in my opinion, greatly outweigh getting results earlier.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

silverysea wrote:Is this a plus side to IB over A level? Or do most Unis hold on until they have all the different exam results before making offers?

This A level system is for the birds, seriously!
Do you mean, before confirming offers (they've already made them and applicants chosen their Firm and Insurance)? If an IB applicant gets the required points for their Firm, they will know that they are going there (BTEC applicants will be in the same position); I'm not sure whether not quite meeting offer would necessarily result in a decision one way or the other until A level results are notified to the universities, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

My understanding is that if you meet the offer requirements, the offer becomes contractually binding on both parties. We were expecting to have to wait for A level results as DD had missed the offer by one point.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Congratulations to your DD Bond girl, from another Polytechnic lass. I'm sure there are a few more of us out there! :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Loopyloulou wrote:I think this trend towards "polytechnics" offering professional qualifications (eg Harper Adams "University" will soon be teaching VetMed) is a worrying development.
I find this opinion a rather worrying development, I thought we had got beyond this uni/poly divide. As others have said all degrees require the necessary accreditation so must be of the same standard and they certainly cost the same as those offered at the older institutions. Talking of "polytechnics" says more about the OP's age than anything else :lol: and I'm sure some of the facilities available at the newer institutions would be very welcome anywhere.

DS1 has a very positive first hand experience of clearing, he had a gap year already planned but didn't want to reapply so went into clearing last summer. He has ended up on a better course which he starts in September ..... At a "poly" :wink: :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

It’s easy to fix on certain universities being better than another. From my experience its more important to look at what is actually on offer on the course, where you are going to be living and studying and if people are enjoying the learning experience.
I’ve been looking to study for an MA for a while..Ive looked at courses in Bristol, Bath, Birmingham, London and Oxford none of them quite floated my boat...then I looked at the University of South Wales ....and found a course that exactly met my needs with tutors all trained at more prestigious universities...and accredited...fantastic new building with great facilities...what’s not to like?
I suspect some of the newer universities have room to do things a bit differently and that might be their strength...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

doodles wrote:
Loopyloulou wrote:I think this trend towards "polytechnics" offering professional qualifications (eg Harper Adams "University" will soon be teaching VetMed) is a worrying development.
I find this opinion a rather worrying development, I thought we had got beyond this uni/poly divide. As others have said all degrees require the necessary accreditation so must be of the same standard and they certainly cost the same as those offered at the older institutions. Talking of "polytechnics" says more about the OP's age than anything else :lol: and I'm sure some of the facilities available at the newer institutions would be very welcome anywhere.

DS1 has a very positive first hand experience of clearing, he had a gap year already planned but didn't want to reapply so went into clearing last summer. He has ended up on a better course which he starts in September ..... At a "poly" :wink: :lol:
Since he wants to study Architecture, it's likely that DS2 will have quite a few former Polytechnics on his list to visit, since they are often the 'umbrella' under which the original local institution teaching it ('eventually', in some cases) ended up. The courses at NUA and Birmingham City University look particularly interesting (to me - the decision re where to apply and which of his offers - if I'd is successful - to firm will be his).

And I can think of a lot of places less suitable than Harper Adams to offer VetSci...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now