Reapplying to Oxbridge.

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: Reapplying to Oxbridge.

Post by Guest55 »

In the olden days some people used to sit the Oxford entrance exams in the term after A levels ... ie in their 7th term.
Justinterested

Post by Justinterested »

They stayed on at school until Christmas after Upper Sixth . During this term they sat Oxbridge exam then often worked or "gap yeared" from Jan to October .
KB

Post by KB »

Interestingly the vast majority of theses pupils were at fee paying schools as few state schools provided Oxbridge prep classes.

The current system of offering on A level grades was brought in to encourage strong applicants from a wider range of backgrounds.

It will be interesting to see if the swing back continues until most Oxbridge entrants are '7th term' and how the aims of inclusion are impacted.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

A great film to watch to understand how it all worked in the 1980s is the History Boys adapted from a play by Alan Bennett.

Warning. You might want to watch it first before watching it with dc.

Quite a lot of focus on physical teacher and pupil relationships! DG
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Interestingly the vast majority of theses pupils were at fee paying schools as few state schools provided Oxbridge prep classes.
Although it wasn't unheard of. BIL was at a state school & did this.
scary mum
solimum

Post by solimum »

scary mum wrote:
Ditto: DH did 7th term entry at a state grammar in the 1970s. I had some extra classes (joint with the local boys grammar) for 4th term entry in the early 1980s (nearly typed 1890s, when I wouldn't even have been allowed to apply! )
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

solimum wrote:
scary mum wrote:
Ditto: DH did 7th term entry at a state grammar in the 1970s. I had some extra classes (joint with the local boys grammar) for 4th term entry in the early 1980s (nearly typed 1890s, when I wouldn't even have been allowed to apply! )
I also know a person (who is now over 60) who did this and subsequently went to Cambridge. At secondary school, he was attending a GS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now