Computer Science Degree Guidance Please

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MrsChubbs

Re: Computer Science Degree Guidance Please

Post by MrsChubbs »

Can't comment on CS degrees but DS is at York and really loves the combination of a campus uni that is very close to a city. Runs on a collegiate system sort of like Oxford/Cambridge/Durham so he feels part of a smaller family as well as the Uni. System of settling freshers into colleges over the first few weeks was excellent. Really good sports facilities.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The campus at York was one enormous building site last time I visited, but that was getting on for 5 years ago, so surely they've at least almost finished by now?

And there are always the ducks :lol:

http://www.duckoftheday.co.uk/2018/10/1 ... 8.html?m=0
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Yes he loves the ducks too. :lol: The students make memes and gifs (look at me being down with the kids :wink: ) of them and their ducklings. The geese can be a bit scary though.
Yes there has been lots of investment up there, with new buildings all over the place. Heslington West has some great new accommodation and their science labs are amazing.
Cuddlermum

Post by Cuddlermum »

Once again thank you all for your help and my apologies for not coming back on here sooner.

As I expected, it has come right down to the wire with my DS and he still needs to chose his firm and insurance uni's.

He has offers from:

Leeds AAB if A in maths or comp science
Nottingham AAB if A in comp science
Loughbourough and Surrey ABB
UEA BBB

Leeds has always been his preferred choice although it is a 4 hour drive from us, but after the applicant day, he is now thinking of firming either Nottingham or Loughborough as they are slightly nearer. Apparently there was also a "bad" sample lecture on that day (Leeds was the one my DH took him to, I attended all the others so can't comment on how bad this lecture was but my DH and other parents agreed it wasn't good) and this has also put him off a little.

He also really liked Loughborough after the applicant day. DH and I are happy with all five so it is up to him.

He would either choose Leeds as firm with Loughborough as insurance, or to be nearer to home, Nottingham and Loughborough, or, more likely, Loughborough and UEA as insurance.

He also has a bursary offer to support him, conditional on grades equal to his lowest offer, (hopefully with a graduate job upon leaving uni) so employability stats not now so important.

To further complicate matters, he also has a degree apprenticeship offer, but he will need to leave home to take this. DH and I are equally happy for him to take this route if he prefers.

We are still bearing in mind all previous comments, so thank you for those, but any further info or help anyone can give will be gratefully received. DS now going to go through all info again to see if he can resolve this today.

Thank you.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Best of luck.

btw....further to my son's PM to to you he got a 'blue-chip' placement for his year in industry .
Cuddlermum

Post by Cuddlermum »

Thanks Catseye, and well done to your ds on securing his placement.

Still undecided here!
A couple more questions if anyone is able to help please:

Does anyone think the student drop out rate is hugely significant as they vary a lot for his course? eg Leeds 17%, Loughborough 8%

Does attending a uni with higher entry grades make it harder to get a higher degree classification?

Thanks again.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Cuddlermum, DS is in the same position as your son was last year so this thread is really interesting. He wants to study Computer Science at University and is taking Computer Science, Physics, Maths and F Maths for A-Level but is finding it impossible to come up with a university short list. He likes the sound of Bristol, Warwick, Cambridge, Southampton, Imperial and Durham amongst lots of others. I will get him to look at UEA as I have been trying to get him to find options with slightly lower entry requirements. At the moment he is predicted 3A* and an A. Have you got an tips or words of advice. It would be interesting to know what your DS thought of other uni's he considered. Well done to your DS for getting such an amazing set of offers.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Cuddlermum wrote:Thanks Catseye, and well done to your ds on securing his placement.

Still undecided here!
A couple more questions if anyone is able to help please:

Does anyone think the student drop out rate is hugely significant as they vary a lot for his course? eg Leeds 17%, Loughborough 8%

Does attending a uni with higher entry grades make it harder to get a higher degree classification?

Thanks again.
I have to be honest, I would raise an eyebrow at a nearly 20% drop out rate....
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Hera wrote:Cuddlermum, DS is in the same position as your son was last year so this thread is really interesting. He wants to study Computer Science at University and is taking Computer Science, Physics, Maths and F Maths for A-Level but is finding it impossible to come up with a university short list. He likes the sound of Bristol, Warwick, Cambridge, Southampton, Imperial and Durham amongst lots of others. I will get him to look at UEA as I have been trying to get him to find options with slightly lower entry requirements. At the moment he is predicted 3A* and an A. Have you got an tips or words of advice. It would be interesting to know what your DS thought of other uni's he considered. Well done to your DS for getting such an amazing set of offers.
I would encourage a look at the University of Surrey at Guildford. Dd has finally decided on their Course in Electronic engineering and computer systems rather than computer science as her firm offer. The intake is not huge, the teaching staff are incredibly enthusiastic and the opportunities to work on projects in the Space Centre look pretty amazing.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Cuddlermum wrote:

Thanks again.
Again not for Computer Science, but DD's offer from Birmingham was AAB, vs ABB from Leeds. Birmingham is one of the universities castigated for making 'unconditional if firmed' offers - departments participating in the scheme make these based on predicted grades of AAA (which DD has) and above and 'her' department apparently finds that most who accept such an offer make their predictions regardless. I don't know what percentage first class and 2:1 degrees Leeds awards, but again, Birmingham is also one of the universities recently castigated for awarding 'too many' of them. So no.

(Btw, if you are an Oxford college vying for first place in the Norrington Table, awarding all but a handful of students a first or a 2:1 is the height of desirability. Anywhere else - except perhaps Cambridge? - and the relevant government department must demand that Something Be Done About It).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now