Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:01 pm 

marigold wrote:
On a related issue I saw a question on the Martin Lewis money saving forum about whether we should be charging all our returning students bed and board from this terms student loan. I haven’t gone that far yet but if I find one more dirty plate under the sofa ......

Indeed, DD is (and I quote) rolling in it as she has had no expenditure other than the bills on the house she doesn't live in since mid March. About the same length of time since I had any work/income. She is currently up against deadlines which count towards her degree so I am being 'kind'. However, once that is over... The fly in the ointment here is getting a job, usually she works in hospitality and tutors, neither good options now the exam panic has gone away and there is no hospitality. Friends with a lower workload are working in supermarkets or as Amazon drivers, but locally (I checked) the sudden demand in this area appears to have been filled. I may ask for payment in kind. DD is a compulsive tidier and our loft, wardrobes, drawers and garage cold all do with a major clearout. Last week, in a moment of frustration caused by trying to do what is effectively a technical studio based degree on a laptop, she cleaned the grout between the tiles on the kitchen floor. She appeared to find it satisfying and I appear to have a new kitchen :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:36 pm 

DD had rats in her third year house, those places do still exist unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:51 pm 

Last year DS had slugs in the kitchen (so did I when I was a student). This year is better but next year will be really good as the house is nice apparently and they all clean. He will have to step up.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:35 pm 

scary mum wrote:
DD had rats in her third year house, those places do still exist unfortunately.

Indeed they do. We had a rat in our own kitchen recently. (Our own home, that is). Yak!
Thankfully after a few days we managed to persuade it to go back outside again.
I can't imagine the grief we would have had had it been at one of the student houses. Though honestly I would have much preferred it.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:53 pm 

scary mum wrote:
DS2 has declared he is going back come what may, I fear his housemates may start dropping out of the house rather than pay from August to January. As you say, what a shambles.

Please do check his contract . Many state that each student is jointly and severally liable for the rent . If others drop out the others may be responsible for the total rent .

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:10 pm 

Yes, I believe it is, which makes it even more worrying.