Brampton Manor overtakes Eton with 55 Oxbridge offers

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Brampton Manor overtakes Eton with 55 Oxbridge offers

Post by Daogroupie »

Brampton Manor, a state sixth form in the second most deprived London borough, Newham, have overtaken Eton with 55 Oxbridge offers compared to Eton's 48.

Eton's Oxbridge offers have halved in the past 7 years from 99 in 2014 to 48 this year whereas Brampton, which only opened its doors in 2012, went from just 1 offer in 2014 to 55 this year.

St Paul's girls total has reduced from 58 in 2015 to 44 this year.

Kings College Wimbledon's offers have almost halved from 48 to 2019 to 27 this year.

Doors to the study centre open at 6am every day and stay open for 12 hours as many students do not have the facilities to study at home. Many students are queuing outside before 6am.

This work ethic will serve them well at Oxbridge where many courses expect students to complete two long essays each week of term.

Brampton's roll of honour board which was expected to last ten years is already full with not enough room for all the offers this year.

I expect their numbers to top 100 in the next five years. DG
Moon unit

Re: Brampton Manor overtakes Eton with 55 Oxbridge offers

Post by Moon unit »

That is very interesting DG
Wilson’s got 24 offers this year which is I think more than last year and more or less what they usually get.
I have heard of other independents who have had lower numbers this year including JAGS.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Brampton Manor's 55 Oxbridge offers are all confirmed today with a total of 330 pupils taking up places at the top Russell Group Universities.

Ade Olugboji with 4 A stars and a Maths and Philosophy place at Oxford. "Brampton has a philosophy of hard work. I started at 6am and left at 6pm. I knew there was going to be work but I did not understand the level until I got here. The thing is once I saw everyone else working hard and so well, it did not seem that it (success) was impossible."

A triumph for sheer hard work and a great example to other younger students of what can be achieved. DG
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

This is such a great success story and those young people worked hard for those places. The A level results this year have highlighted an interesting dilemma for our education system, are all A* created equal?
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Very heart-warming to read this. Thank you for sharing. Indeed an example and inspiration to all the young people. Tribute to their staff and families for nurturing this attitude in their students.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

sportsforall wrote:This is such a great success story and those young people worked hard for those places. The A level results this year have highlighted an interesting dilemma for our education system, are all A* created equal?
No they're probably not. The selection criteria at the universities have changed to account for your school's postcode and level of deprivation. Pupils at deprived schools or home ed are viewed more positively than those at independent or grammar schools. There were some interesting newspaper articles on this a few years ago. It seemed a good way of levelling the playing field.

Although it does seem that there is something wrong with the system if 12 hour days are required - I hope it is worth it for that young chap in the end and that he also manages to have some fun...