Next Oxford University vice-chancellor state educated female

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Next Oxford University vice-chancellor state educated female

Post by Daogroupie »

Merton College will be gutted to lose her, she is absolutely gold standard, always there supporting everything Merton did from Choral to Rowing to Cheerleading, but now the whole university will benefit.
"Next Oxford University vice-chancellor state educated and second female in role.The nominee as the next vice-chancellor of Oxford University is a female neuroscience professor who studied at a local comprehensive school. Irene Tracey is a renowned neuroscientist who has led Merton College since 2019, and is currently professor of anaesthetic neuroscience in the Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences. She is also president-elect of the Federation of European Neuroscience Societies (FENS). Professor Tracey said she was educated at a “terrific local school”, Gosford Hill School in Kidlington, and that the university’s commitment to attracting the “best students from whatever their background will remain steadfast”.
“I am honoured to be nominated as the University of Oxford’s next vice-chancellor, and I wish to thank my colleagues for entrusting me to lead such a magnificent and world-leading academic institution,” she said. “The last few years have reminded us all of the crucial role Oxford, along with other leading British universities, plays in tackling global societal issues,” she added, perhaps in reference to the development of the AstraZeneca vaccine.“That is why I am deeply committed to growing Oxford’s impact through supporting its groundbreaking discovery research, its excellence in teaching and its drive to create a global innovation powerhouse.”She added that the university had “also made significant strides in recent years to becoming a more diverse community”.
“Coming to Oxford University from a terrific local school, Gosford Hill, I know well the transformative power that great teachers, professors and a good education can have throughout one’s career.“Oxford’s commitment to attracting the very best students from whatever their background will remain steadfast.”
After completing her undergraduate degree and doctorate in biochemistry at Merton College, Prof Tracey held a post-doctoral position at Harvard Medical School before returning to Oxford in 1997, when she became a founding member and then director of the Wellcome Centre for Integrative Neuroimaging. Her research on the neuroscience of pain led to improvements in the understanding of pain perception, and she was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) for services to medical research by the Queen in 2022.
Prof Tracey will be the second female VC of the university, following professor Louise Richardson, when she takes up the position in 2023 if approved by the university’s sovereign body. Prof Richardson said: “I am delighted by the nomination of Professor Irene Tracey, who will bring deep-seated familiarity with the collegiate university as well as enthusiasm for its values, to the role of vice-chancellor.
“Irene’s talents, collegiality and boundless energy will stand her in good stead. I wish her every success and I will do all I can to ensure a smooth transition.”

DG
hermanmunster

Re: Next Oxford University vice-chancellor state educated fe

Post by hermanmunster »

Interesting she hasn't been a VC / Principal anywhere else before, unlike Louise Richardson who was at St Andrews (and, I suspected, wished she had never left)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

She has been an absolutely standout master at Merton College so the University probably had her in mind already for when the post fell vacant.
DG
test1

Post by test1 »

Judith Buchanan is the Master of St Peter's College, Oxford, and is also doing an amazing job. She took up her appointment at St Peter's on 1 October 2019, succeeding Mark Damazer.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

How fantastic to have these strong female role models leading Oxford colleges, especially Merton which was one of the very last colleges to admit women. DG
test1

Post by test1 »

1974 – Jesus College, Wadham College, Hertford College, Brasenose College and St Catherine’s College began to admit women, with Daphne Dumont becoming the first female student to be admitted to any of the Oxford men's colleges.

Balliol and St Peter's started admitting women in 1979, with Christ Church and Merton following in 1980 and Oriel in 1985.

In 2016, St Benet’s Hall, the last all-male educational institution at Oxford University, started admitting women. It was only once all colleges admitted women that real parity could be achieved.

1979 – The first women’s colleges admit men - St Anne’s and Lady Margaret Hall were the first colleges to become co-educational, admitting male students in Michaelmas term 1979.
St Hugh’s College began to admit men in 1986, followed by Somerville in 1994 and St Hilda’s in 2008.
solimum

Post by solimum »

I'm pleased that my college, Clare, was one of the first all-male colleges in Cambridge to admit women in 1972 then!
test1

Post by test1 »

2018 was the first year when Oxford university offered more undergraduate places to British women than men.
As of 2018, of its 38 colleges, 10 had women as their principals or heads.
It named its first female vice-chancellor, Prof. Louise Richardson, in 2016. At the end of her term, Irene Tracey will follow as the second female vice-chancellor from 2023.