Ahead of the game

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Post by moved »

I went to my Cambridge interview in a suit, my friend in flip-flops with filthy feet. We were both offered places. Her brilliance obviously negated her feet! This was maths though.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Well it just goes to show :lol: :lol:
solimum

Post by solimum »

Chelmsford mum wrote:
What about...... tatoos, piercings, messy beard and a smart suit, shirt , tie and polished brogues?
That's probably the eminent professor.....
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think admissions tutors have seen it all but OH tells me of the graduate applicants who turn up in the City expecting to be employed with their piercings, tatoos and too fashionable dress sense. My advise is "if in doubt dress conservatively" because no one can pick holes in that - well unless you're going for a fashion/artsy job!
zee

Post by zee »

I mentioned this to my son and he declared that very few intelligent people had tattoos etc, so what was the issue?

I didn't know whether to be shocked that he was quite so narrow minded or relieved that that belief means he's less likely to want want to adopt any such "adornments" himself. :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

zee wrote:I mentioned this to my son and he declared that very few intelligent people had tattoos etc, so what was the issue?

I didn't know whether to be shocked that he was quite so narrow minded or relieved that that belief means he's less likely to want want to adopt any such "adornments" himself. :lol:
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Certainly first impressions matter, and if going for an interview one should spruce up a bit, but an interview for an academic course should primarily be about the candidate's suitability for the course and other activities that the university offers.
I did not say it would influence how the interview would evolve and how the interview would end. However it would not necessarily create an impressive first impression (!); it is useful to know the facts. Dress neutral, do not exaggerate appearance and dazzle them with your brains! Do not destruct the panel's attention to anything other than your academic ability.

By the way the majority of academics including myself go around in jeans, sports shoes etc (but we do not have tattoos or facial piercings, etc). However this misses the point. We are not being interviewed, the applicants are!
sj355
sj355

Post by sj355 »

solimum wrote:
Chelmsford mum wrote:
What about...... tatoos, piercings, messy beard and a smart suit, shirt , tie and polished brogues?
That's probably the eminent professor.....
How would you know if someone has tattoos if he is wearing a smart suit unless he has a tattoo bang on his forehead or hands? In any case, also avoid polished broques because they too may distract the panel's attention. :lol:
sj355
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Chelmsford mum wrote:
zee wrote:
Huh? So what would you infer from someone with tattoos, piercings and a messy beard?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

CM if you ever tire of your present job, please do join the Foreign Office and train as a diplomat, or at the very least consider training yourslef as negotiator for the police dealing with hostage situations. You were born for it and anything else is a waste of your rare talent. :)
sj355
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

She will be MOD before time...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now