University entrance requirement? Level 2 ICT

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dyslexichelpneeded

University entrance requirement? Level 2 ICT

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

My DD's ICT teacher has told the class that Level 2 ICT is a requirement for entry to university. Can anybody confirm/deny/clarify?

Thanks
Looking for help

Re: University entrance requirement? Level 2 ICT

Post by Looking for help »

dyslexichelpneeded wrote:My DD's ICT teacher has told the class that Level 2 ICT is a requirement for entry to university. Can anybody confirm/deny/clarify?

Thanks
I would say not required.

LFH
mum3

Post by mum3 »

I've got one and one just graduated from Russell group universities and they certainly haven't got it!
watmum

Post by watmum »

No. certainly not mentioned by any of the uni's we applied to for our child.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

nope, miss yoyo hasn't got it..

is that an NVQ if it is level 2?

what uni courses was the teacher talking about?
dyslexichelpneeded

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

Thanks for all the replies. My DD swears she didn't misunderstand, and the information was later repeated to her by a girl in her form, but it sounded like complete nonsense to me. A PM from someone may clear up the confusion - she says the information is true of diplomas: All level 2 diplomas require a pass in level 2 Functional skills in English, Maths and ICT.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

aha, I have no experience with diplomas

Could you google the exam board? that might shed some light on it.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

I'm pretty sure you cannot be awarded the diploma (whether L2 or L3) without functional skills qualifications in Maths, English and ICT. This means that if you haven't got the skills awards, you don't pass the diploma, even if you've done well in your unit awards. :? This means that you in theory have no passes at Level 2, and therefore couldn't progress.
Actually, not sure what happens if your DD is taking a combination of diploma and other GCSEs.
They were going to attach these quals to GCSEs as well but have (wisely) decided to drop this now. However, I think it's still a necessary requirement of the Diploma. I'll check for sure and get back to you if I'm wrong, but if you don't hear from me again, then thatt's the way it is....
Sorry
Bougalou
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Ok just been on the QCA's FAQ section and found this....

Functional skills: Do learners have to pass functional skills before they can be awarded the Diploma?

Answer
Yes. Students must achieve Level 1 functional skills for a Foundation Diploma and Level 2 functional skills for the Higher (level 2) and Advanced(level 3) Diploma

Functional skills: Do those who are taking Level 3 Diplomas from September 2008 also need to take Level 2 functional skills even though they may have A*- C GCSEs in the relevant subjects?

Answer
Yes they do

Diploma: Do students still have to sit functional skills exams if they are taking GCSE English, Maths or ICT?

Answer
Yes. All students studying for a Diploma will sit specific functional skills tests, under exam conditions, separate from GCSEs.

Functional skills are about the ability to select the right tools to solve different problems, relating the curriculum to how it should be used in everyday life.

These functional skills standards are embedded into the new GCSE criteria for English, Maths and ICT, which will be delivered in classrooms for the first time in 2010.

Hope this clarifies things a little, although I don't see whay someone would have to do separate skills tests if the standards are already embedded in their GCSEs.
Bougalou
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Ok just been on the QCA's FAQ section and found this....

Functional skills: Do learners have to pass functional skills before they can be awarded the Diploma?

Answer
Yes. Students must achieve Level 1 functional skills for a Foundation Diploma and Level 2 functional skills for the Higher (level 2) and Advanced(level 3) Diploma

Functional skills: Do those who are taking Level 3 Diplomas from September 2008 also need to take Level 2 functional skills even though they may have A*- C GCSEs in the relevant subjects?

Answer
Yes they do

Diploma: Do students still have to sit functional skills exams if they are taking GCSE English, Maths or ICT?

Answer
Yes. All students studying for a Diploma will sit specific functional skills tests, under exam conditions, separate from GCSEs.

Functional skills are about the ability to select the right tools to solve different problems, relating the curriculum to how it should be used in everyday life.

These functional skills standards are embedded into the new GCSE criteria for English, Maths and ICT, which will be delivered in classrooms for the first time in 2010.

Hope this clarifies things a little, although I don't see whay someone would have to do separate skills tests if the standards are already embedded in their GCSEs.
Bougalou