How tough is it out there?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

GPs in partnership aren't particularly well paid, around here they tend on average to be just a little into six figures. Nonetheless I think magwich is right that if the supply of doctors was greater then the pay could come down further. The pressure point is definitely at medical school admissions level - that is where the supply of doctors is cut. The reason more places are not available is, I understand, the cost to the government of medical training. Perhaps the government is being shortsighted? Or perhaps there is a real possibility that, if GP pay were cut, there would be significant emigration? That certainly seems to happen in India 8) .
Loopy
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Loopyloulou wrote:GPs in partnership aren't particularly well paid, around here they tend on average to be just a little into six figures. .
In the grand scheme of things that's a pretty good salary, methinks :lol: :lol:
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Ed's mum wrote:My sister is in her 4th year of graduate entry medicine at Newcastle.
She had a lot of experience, not just a degree, and is loving every minute of it!
She highly recommends graduate entry.
My sister-in-law did like wise after postgraduate studies a the LSE (stats related) followed by a brief and very lucrative carrer at the City. Just qualified as a doctor and started work in August last year two months before turning 40! She did her medicine graudate studies at Imperial and was very happy there and did spectacularly well. She also highly recommends graduate entry.
sj355
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Given the lottery for medical school places, it would be wise for anyone intent on medicine to have a foreign back-up if they can. I know of someone who went to Gdansk University in Poland, which runs a medical course in English, and the final qualification is recognised throughout the EEC.
Loopy
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Yep LLL - fancy the idea of that - there is an english language course at Charles University Prague also - trouble is that the clinical has to be in this country (I think) so tricky to set that bit up.

Other option is Ireland - Galway, Cork, UCS . RCSI and Trinity. They take on exam score only + HPAT (like UKCAT), less obsessed about the personal statement - also less problem communicating with the patients....
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

Have just received today's mail......and there's an envelope for my son postmarked from Reading.......I'm dying to know if it's an offer (our hope!).....how wrong is it to steam it open????? I know I know, I won't....have sent hubby an email to get son to check his UCAS tracking at school (hubby is a teacher at same school).....but I have to wait to hear until he finishes his volunteer work at 5 pm! argghhhhh
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

OOOOOHHHH the temptation!!!!!!!!!

Hope it's good news when the envelope does eventually get opened :D :D
familyinthevalley

Have just decided that as it's cold out there today, I shouldn't make him take the bus to the hospice from school (they get out at 1:15 on Fridays) so I'm going to surprise him with a ride in a nice warm car.......oh, hey - he can open his envelope then can't he! :)
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Brill idea! Hope it's a happy car ride! :D
familyinthevalley

Well didn't find him at school, so drove into town - couldn't find him there.....so went straight to the hospice :) He was waiting there with his older brother who was there for his initial interview for volunteering, and had been told I had an envelope :) He said there was nothing on UCAS - but it was not an offer yet.....just a really nice letter stating they were highly impressed with his interview, his detailed knowledge on questions asked at interview, his work experience at a pharmaceutical lab.....and a recommendation to be offered a place. So.....now we have to wait for the offer! Hoping his best friend got one too as he really liked it as well.

And.....we're back to waiting - but what a smile on his face at such a nice letter :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now