Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:14 pm 

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 134
Hi all,

A friend's son who is taking a gap year (he has an offer to study mech. eng at Oxford uni next year) has been told by the letting agency that he has to pay 75% of the council tax, he is sharing with 5 other students and they are exempt. He is presently working as part of his gap year in his chosen field for 9 months before starting uni, but unfortunately he has to live away from home due to distance.

Is he entitle to discount, and why should he pay 75%, £65 per week on top of the rent?, and l don't think he can claim as a student

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:49 am 

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:20 pm
Posts: 4662
£65 per week is extremely high for student accommodation - perhaps it's £65 per month?

Even so, I wouldn't be taking the landlord's word on it. Tell him to contact the council and they'll advise him appropriately.


PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:46 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:43 pm
Posts: 245
If he's working and earning a wage, he is responsible for paying council tax, as he's not attending full time classes. However, as the others are all exempt due to being students attending full time classes, he can claim the single adult allowance which gives a 25% reduction off of the council tax for the premises.

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2018