Maintenance Loan

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T12ACY

Maintenance Loan

Post by T12ACY »

Can anyone tell me how DS is meant to fund the shortfall in accomodation when the maintenance loan available is around £1,500.00 less than the fee charged by the uni for it????

Am v v new to all of this and was shocked to find he can't apply for a loan large enough to cover just the accomodation. We had expected to have to help him out with food etc. and he will be working but how can he be expected to meet the charges imposed???? Am not talking grants here, this is all to be repaid when he leaves (hopefully qualified) and starts to work in full time employment so I am shocked they don't cover the minimum required :shock:

(they have no accomodation which is less than the loan available, or even close btw)
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
hermanmunster

Re: Maintenance Loan

Post by hermanmunster »

think that most of the time they either borrow more money or look hopefully at the parents... glad I did not have to do either.... suspect many more students will be living at home in the future and going to more local unis.

Is there any chance of him earning a bit more in the summer hols before going?
daughter

Post by daughter »

Depending on family (read parents) circumstances you can qualify for full loan, a non refundable grant and a separate bursary from the university. If you receive all of these it is possible to pay costs but all three are means tested so unless you have very low income parents they will normally need to contribute. As always there is a big grey area where perhaps it looks as though parents can afford to help but depending on numbers of children and outgoings they may really struggle - not even taking into account that not all parents are inclined to pay! Squeezed middle.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Well that is his plan now. Went to see his boss after finding this out to ask for more work in the summer. At least he is relatively sensible!

The uni is also quite local and offers the potential to live at home but was keen for him to go and experience the life it offers if he could. So likely he will do the first year on site and then move back home for the rest of his time there........

What surprised me was the fact there isn't even the option to cover the accomodation by way of a loan which he will pay back, it's not even like it's a grant!

Sadly we earn too much :?: for him to qualify for additonal support..... my bank account begs to differ :lol:
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Belinda wrote:I know I'm quite bitter but... nieces and nephews have full grant - based on their Mum's income - AND full financial support of their Dad, whose income is not taken into account. !
That seems so unfair! Why wouldnt they take into account that the father is supporting and his general income? it seems ridiculous!
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Belinda wrote:I know how you're feeling T12ACY! No grant and a 'maximum allowed' loan that will cover accommodation (just) for two at Uni next year. I'm wondering just how much DH and I will be forking out to 'keep' them over the course of the year. We only just, by pence, miss a £50 grant for each child!

I know I'm quite bitter but... nieces and nephews have full grant - based on their Mum's income - AND full financial support of their Dad, whose income is not taken into account. They have a much smaller loan and a full grant they don't have to pay back which gives them more already than my own kids AND then the monthly direct debit that their Dad gives them! They are rolling in it! They are actually far more socially middle class than we'll ever be! But nonetheless, this is supposedly social mobility!

I'm all for support for poor students when it's genuinely needed but my lot will be working all the hours they can and will still have less than their 'poor' cousins!

I too know of a family with a million pound house which daddy left so his mega bucks salary isn't included and mummy doesn't work so full grants are on offer and daddy send spending money every month.... it makes my blood boil!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

What about if mummy, who dosnt work, is living with a rich chap! Just wondering! :)
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

No you can't live with a rich chap either as they would be part of the household income..... I suggested to DS that I throw out DH in the short term but he didn't think that was entirely moral :lol:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

It doesn't count because the DC isn't 'his' son - I know this from when my DS went to UNI. However, not sure how things stand if the mother and the rich 'other' dad marries though!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now