Medical School Costs

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nigs

Medical School Costs

Post by nigs »

I remember reading recently that the cost of medical school could be in the region of £10,000 a year. Would you say this is an accurate estimate? Obviously with the new uni fees coming in, this could change.

Apart from accommodation costs and food (depending on which part of the country the student is in) what other costs are there to bear in mind?
hermanmunster

Re: Medical School Costs

Post by hermanmunster »

The fees will add quite a bit to that. The problem with the clinical years of medical school is that there is no great chance to get a job in the holidays (there aren't enough of them) and party time jobs are also tricky (need to go on attachments to other hospitals for several weeks at a time).
So what do you have to allow for :- travel, accommodation, books (variable really with e-sources), food, clothes ( :roll: can't wear jeans on the wards - or shouldn't!). Entertainment :oops: .
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I know it cost the state around £210 000 to train a medic, but I dont know how much it cost the medic.
Impossible is Nothing.
shana Lewis

Post by shana Lewis »

And let's not forget, the state does not pay out of it's own pocket, it's our money that is used. Personally, I am quite happy to see my taxes being spent on training doctors, rather than offering tax incentives and bail outs for the rich.
mim

Post by mim »

Recently we've been looking at medical schools in Russia. They teach in English, are much more affordable, and seem to take quite a few foreign students.

Does anyone have experience of this?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Have met a lot of people of various nationalities over the years who were trained in Russia - not necessarily working her though. What you have to be sure of is that the course will register them with the GMC to work in this country.
I think Charles University in Prague does fall into this category
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

It seems crazy that our own home-grown talent has to go abroad to train in medicine because there are not enough university places here and/or what places there are, are simply unaffordable, whilst we import doctors from all over the globe to work in this country to the detriment of the countries in which they were trained! Something wrong somewhere...

On a similar vein DD is considering training as a vet in Eastern Europe. It's more expensive at the moment, but won't be from next year. :roll:
Marylou
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

quite a long list of med schools acceptable - though some that claim to be actually are not all that they seem:

http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registrat ... cation.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

some of the St Petersburg schools have got themselves in a pickle - hence the reason they have been shifted onto the maybe list
mim

Post by mim »

Thank you hermanmunster, much appreciated!

Something to mull over. At least we won't be able to say we didn't have the choice... but what a choice eh?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I came across this course http://www.medicine.unisr.it/view.asp?id=79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; some time ago which I had heard recommended for someone else looking to follow a UK-approved course abroad. It's in Milan, held in English and might be worth a look. Fees are 18,000 euros per year payable in 3 installments over the year, don't know how that compares with other foreign institutions.
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now