Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:57 pm 

Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:04 pm
Posts: 1061
A friend of mine may be moving abroad. She would like her DC (currently Y8 and Y7) to go to a UK university. Her question is that if she moves abroad and then sends DC here for uni will she have to pay foreign student fees? If yes, then how long before they start uni should she be thinking of moving back in order toqualify as a home student? Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:38 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8598
3 years .... unless it is the EU they had better not go, or at least only stay away 2 years!

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduat ... whichfees/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:33 pm 

Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:38 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Maidstone
Quite a few expat kids pay home fees using many ways. A child can apply on their own on the basis they were dragged around by their parents and they never intend to go and live abroad. As long as the child (student) can show it was parental choice not theirs that forced them abroad. Nobody knows how long this and other loopholes will work for considering that many unis are struggling with funding. Also if the parents can prove that their move abroad was temporary and not permanent.

Temporary Absence
Temporary or occasional absences form the UK or EEA (as appropriate) will not interrupt ordinary residence. Each case must be assessed on its own merits. Evidence could be documents showing:

• The reason why the applicant was abroad (e.g. own or parent’s temporary employment abroad, education abroad, holidays, study, voluntary service).
• That the absence was temporary.
• Details of tax paid in the UK/ EEA (own or parents).
• Evidence of a continued link with the UK/EEA, e.g. continuing to keep a property in the UK/EEA.
• Regular visits home.
• Continued business interests in the UK/EEA.

Some unis are much harder than others to prove residence, and in the expatworld they will know that information. Here is a court ruling that was made.

"In the Court's view temporary or occasional absences do not break ordinary residence. Lord Scarman did not define what a temporary or occasional absence might be, but he indicated that it would be possible for an individual to establish ordinary residence in two countries simultaneously. This leads to the conclusion that such breaks could be periods extending to months or even years". (Paragraph 2, Letter from the then Department for Education and Science to LEAs, 30 April 1985 - reference: ACL 2/85).

Impossible is Nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:59 am 

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:56 pm
Posts: 8539
Maybe there is something the children can do about returning to England during school holidays while their parents are living abroad which will help the situation? Agree with Sherry_d, needs further research and current expats could point in the right direction, but no guarantees about the future especially not in the current climate.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:20 pm 

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 159
Also needs to consider:
Where they will be paying their taxes;
Childrens own feelings and decisions when they are 16+ years old !

If going to Canada or the USA I doubt they will want to come back to the UK. It's not just the university courses; it's the opportunities afterwards.

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2018