Hothousing their way to the top

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jeepers

Hothousing their way to the top

Post by Jeepers »

I thought we were hard done by with extra preparation and low odds for gs when i saw this article in bbc education about the crammer colleges for teenagers targeting india's top engineering universities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14475926

Pass mark of 100 percent and 450,000 applications for 8000 places. :shock: Does anyone know how this compares to Oxbridge or Russell group chances in the UK? Will there be an explosion of A level crammers by the time my DC (year 5 and younger) reach 18?

The girl in the article is working for 15 hours a day and is so focussed it makes me blush when i look back to my approach to A levels, I really hope it works out for her.
mim

Re: Hothousing their way to the top

Post by mim »

Having spent some time with people from various Asian cultures in their home countries, what impressed was that the overwhelming majority learn from very young that the exam result, the school place attained and such tests have no lasting 'power' to shape lives. What lasts is that learning to strive, to test yourself, to discover what you may do, to never expect that just because you're born with what passes for more brain power than the next person, that you would ever expect to do better that them unless you strived for what you want. And even striving does not entirely guarantee chance illnesses, obstacles or fortuitous results.

Life is short, why not experiment before it's over? Their choices of experiment may look different from ours, but that's personal choice for you, so I think we mustn't begrudge their return to world power status when it fully blossoms, or complain we didn't know how they got there.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now