More fees nonsense

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

More fees nonsense

Post by Looking for help »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-15389378" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How on earth can people make decisions for entry in 2012? I imagine these 28 will be lower 'down the list' so to speak, but still, applicants need to know before they make decisions, not after the event, so they can stop and move on to do some work for their exams.
Fran17

Re: More fees nonsense

Post by Fran17 »

We went to look at Oxford Brookes University and they said they were aiming for £7,500. It ranks about 40 in the league tables. It would be one of his second choices but we were very impressed.
Looking for help

Fran17 wrote:We went to look at Oxford Brookes University and they said they were aiming for £7,500. It ranks about 40 in the league tables. It would be one of his second choices but we were very impressed.
We also went to Brookes, didn't quite catch the bit about the £7500. We were also rather impressed, and have decided to have it as our second choice also. Might see you there, Fran :D
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Oh how exciting Looking for help. We also fell in love with Northumbria too. :D
Looking for help

Fran17 wrote:. We also fell in love with Northumbria too. :D
That sounds quite far away from us....my daughter wants to go as far as an hour away on the train in case the braces mean she doesn't make any friends. :lol: Then she can come home in the evening. Absolutely not happening if we are paying this amount of money

You're not from the north, either, are you Fran?
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Oh you have really made me laugh! Just make sure you send her off with lots of Babybels? :lol:

We are from Essex, nothing like the towie lot, I promise. It is a long way but I find it such a friendly place and everything is within walking distance of the accommodation.
Looking for help

:lol:

And with my older son at Uni, I know it's important to have accommodation near the Uni and also near the nightlife. Ox Brookes was also good like that, I felt, as long as you got into the halls near your campus, although the buses seemed frequent, and they had quite a plan for accommodation for 2nd and 3rd year students.

....the babybels are a part of our life now, and so the calories pile on, just for the wax :D

There are lots of trains down the east coast, being Scottish we have often travelled by train from Glasgow down into Kings Cross, so it is reachable. Newcastle is great, my sister in law is from there, lovely bunch of folk. Good luck, I hope the offers pour in soon. Ours might, if only we sent the silly form off :shock: I mean if only we wrote the personal statement :shock: Aaaargh, if only it all stopped at 11+
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

My son loved the accommodation at Oxford Brookes but he didn't like the idea of having to get a bus to his campus which is a further 2 miles out of Oxford. What to do? What to do? I told him not to worry as I am sure it wouldn't matter once he was there. I do think it put him off a bit which I think is a shame because I thought it was very impressive.

Oh the horrors of the Personal Statement. :( Things never seem to get easier do they?

Good luck with everything Looking for help. You are helping to keep me sane! :D
Last edited by Fran17 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Fran17
Oxford Brookes has accommodation at each campus - not usre what you mean about travelling 2 miles....
Looking for help

Not being very familiar with Oxford, I could be completely wrong here - it was explained to us there were 5 sites (maybe even 6), and accommodation at 3 of them, I thought.

Although we didn't pay too much attention because the campus we were interested in had accommodation on or very close to site, so it wouldn't have been an issue for us.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now