interview days

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loulou

interview days

Post by loulou »

DS has just received an invitation to an interview day at Birmingham Uni in the chemical engineering department. The programme includes talks, a tour of the department and interviews (no idea if these will be group interviews or individual). Has anyone any experience of these days and can shed a little light on what to expect?
Belinda

Re: interview days

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loulou

Post by loulou »

No offer yet from Birmingham. Just looked at the days timetable which includes talks from lecturers, a session of a student team building exercise with a parents talk running concurrently, a coach tour of birmingham, walking tour of the campus and then departmental tours and 15 minute interviews. Lunch with current students and staff is also thrown in somewhere. The day runs from 10.45 until 4. Having nosed around the student room website I know some students are getting just interviews without all the extra stuff and I don't understand what the difference is. He received a similar letter from Manchester this morning for an interview day in December. Guess we have to wait and see what it all means. He also received an offer from Leeds this morning so is pleased to have one in the bag.
L
loulou

Post by loulou »

Forgot to ask. Is your DD at Birmingham Uni?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solimum

Post by solimum »

DD has had an interview day at Manchester which followed a very similar all-day format with talks, tours, lunch etc. Her interview was one of the last in her group which was tough(!) but they had already been told that practically all of those invited for interview would be likely to receive an offer : they asked them not to talk about it afterwards though for the sake of the few that didn't.

still waiting to hear from Oxford though which is frustrating as there are lots of other events piling up during the possible interview time slot (2 or 3 days!) and she/we would like to know when/if she might need to travel...
loulou

Post by loulou »

Thanks for your kind words Belinda. DS is rather nervous but is gearing up for a 1-2-1 interview.

Solimum said "Her interview was one of the last in her group which was tough(!) "

Solimum. Did you mean the interview was tough or being interviewed at the end of the day was tough? I have told DS anything on his personal statement is game for in depth questionning. Also suggested he thinks of at least 20 questions that he thinks he might be asked so he has something prepared under his belt for any of the more obvious questions. I am presuming they may also want to look at his reasoning skills too. Will cross fingers for Oxford for you. I think its all rather exciting but nerve wracking for us parents too.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Yes sorry I should have noticed that was ambiguous loulou. The interview was fine, she said, but nerve-racking beforehand being one of the last. She'd had some interview practice (with a family friend who works in HR) who advised her about things like making eye contact - but her interviewer apparently hardly looked up at all (from the pile of personal statements presumably!).
loulou

Post by loulou »

Will have to remind him about the eye contact and trying to appear personable seeing he is a teenage boy :lol: Thanks for all your help
loulou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now