Lancaster University

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
zee

Re: Lancaster University

Post by zee »

DS1 and OH went to the Lancaster open day in the summer, while DS2 and I visited the town and surrounding area.

DS1 like the uni, the course, the facilities, accommodation (much of it very new), and the people, but it is all very self-contained on campus. The town of Lancaster has little to offer and there isn't much else nearby other than a motorway and beautiful countryside.

It depends what you want, but DS1 decided not to apply (it's a very long way from Bucks, as well, which was another factor).
daughter

Post by daughter »

I agree with Kesteven ...
Lancaster is a quality institution with a profile and reputation which will open doors for its graduates. Northumbria on the other hand...
I have also heard several similar stories to LFH ...
He dropped out, the reason being he discovered a lot of people went home for the weekends as they were fairly local to Lancaster, and it was easy for them.

I have observed (not a scientific sample) that people going home for the weekend is attributed much more to the local/ex-poly universities. I very much doubt that Lancaster Uni would be in this category but I know of a friend who has experienced that problem at Northumbria. The student is in first year accomodation/shared apartment and he is the only one there at weekends. A friends DC has had a similar experience at Cirencester.

I hope this helps rather than adds to your confusion.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Hi Fran 17

I do hope you enjoy your visit if you go, and very good luck to your DS.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Thank you everyone for replying.

I know that Lancaster is of course very highly regarded but if my son doesn't get the grades required he won't be going there. He is capable and works hard but sometimes he falls at the last hurdle and doesn't quite get what he should in exams. We feel that Northumbria is highly regarded for the course he is taking, as we have spoken to people in the industry, and it involves a work placement in industry in the third year.

There is no getting away from the fact that it would be wonderful to have Lancaster on his C.V. However, I do not believe that it would be awful to have Northumbria on there. He is a hard worker and has a great personality, wherever he goes and whoever he meets he is always well liked and makes a good impression. I feel he will make his own mark. Not everyone can get into the top universities. :(

Thank you very much for all your comments. Apart from Lancaster, Loughborough and Northumbria, he had offers from UWE and Oxford Brookes. They are much nearer to home but he preferred Northumbria. It has worried me slightly. I hate the thought of him being the only one left at uni at the weekends and being so far away from home. :?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Fran17 wrote: I hate the thought of him being the only one left at uni at the weekends and being so far away from home. :?
Oh I hope I've not added to your worries :(

Sometimes I just open my big mouth :oops:
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Oh LFH not at all! I would much rather be aware of these things. It hadn't crossed my mind that people would regularly go home. I thought that part of the uni experience was to be away from home and enjoy some independence. I'm glad you made me aware of it. :)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It seems to be at least as common to stay at home and commute to uni now. Anything to minimise the debt, I imagine, but it's a pity all the same - 90% of the university experience was about becoming independent imho.

Mike
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Not much sign of DN rushing home to Wiltshire, Fran :lol:
Will ask her whether she has noticed this, but in any case, Newcastle is a buzzing city, I’m sure a sociable teenager can find others to mix with. Northumbria is around about the halfway mark in most league tables, so nothing to be ashamed about.
And finally ditto for DN’s course, she wanted a year out in industry to gain practical experience and possibly get a headstart with career.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Thank you Rob. So sorry, somehow I missed your post. By the way my DS has asked me to get some cookery books for him, so I will be ordering the ones you recommended. I will have to look back to find your previous post. :D
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

This thread has got me worried - all three of DD's remaining options are in striking distance of home so it looks as though our washing machine is going to be chock-full at weekends for a few years yet, if she gets a place at any of them! :lol:

My cousin did a degree at Lancaster as a mature student and ended up working at the university for a few years before she retired. I visited here there a couple of times and really liked the area, with its little towns and lovely countryside, but then I've never been one for big cities.

Best of luck! :)
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now