Risky insurance?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
delta

Re: Risky insurance?

Post by delta »

Thanks for all your thoughts. He did go to the 'third choice' uni for a post-offer day and came away thinking that he didn't really want to go there. It's quite a bit grade drop from the other two and I think he feels he can do better than that - although perhaps that's a bit arrogant - I don't know.... I agree it's so much money now that they have to really feel comfortable with their decision. But he doesn't really want to take a gap year - so tricky. The 'second choice' offer is slightly strange in that it's A*ABB so I suppose the query is what would they do if he ended up with 4As - I suppose just depends on how all their offers pan out. Anyway my feeling is that he probably should just go for the risky insurance as he would really be very happy to go there if the firm choice didn't work out. It would be so much easier if he was interested in something that's a little less competitive...but that's just the way it is! Fingers crossed the June exams go well (tho I hope he'll do more than just cross his fingers!)
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

If there was an interview pre-offer they may well decide whether to accept lower grades based on this post results day. It is quite difficult to pick firm and insurance as many do make the same offers - is it the fear of looking soemehow inferior ? Frustrating though.

Agree it is a difficult decision but that a gap year is often the better choice.

In answer to original post, I would guess that there will be quite a few prospective medics and vets still waiting for news as some offers go out very late.

Also, if medicine or veterinary offers are missed it is less likely that leniency will be shown, although not unheard of by any means if interview went well.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

asdguest wrote: Also, if medicine or veterinary offers are missed it is less likely that leniency will be shown, although not unheard of by any means if interview went well.
I have heard of good students who missed grades for veterinary courses being allowed onto 6-year access courses instead. This has happened a couple of times at Nottingham to my knowledge.

And yes, there are still plenty of potential vet students waiting for news as RVC has yet to make any offers at all to UK students and the other vet schools have not yet finished making offers.
Marylou
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now