Russell group benefits?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Looking for help

Re: Russell group benefits?

Post by Looking for help »

Look. Honestly. There is something wrong with you lot. We went to visit and had a lovely day. We weren't racing round circuits or using compasses either :mrgreen: We were at the main campus and liked it alot :D
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

We looked at Wheatley too. We wondered away from our Computing tour so we could look at the racing cars. 8)
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I cannot see any point in paying 9000 thousand pounds per annum to go to some ex-poly.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Magwich2 - it has some of the highest rated courses for some subjects.

People choose it over RG universities for that very reason - also ALL the lecturers have to hold qualifications to teach students - just tell that to the Uni down the hill!
daveg

Post by daveg »

magwich2 wrote:I cannot see any point in paying 9000 thousand pounds per annum to go to some ex-poly.
A couple of generations ago, ex-University College redbricks with recent charters in provincial towns were subject to much the same snobbery by graduates of Oxford, Cambridge and London. Which accounts for about 75% of the Russell Group, of course.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

What a shame to dismiss a uni simply because it used to be a poly. I would have thought it would be better to judge it for what it is today. Somehow your opinion didn't surprise me. :lol:
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Having done my degree there when it was Oxford Poly I have to say that it was a very good poly and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The students from 'down the hill' really did lord it up over us at every opportunity though.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Oh dear Reading Mum. I don't suppose you wanted to mix with the type of people who would lord it up over you, anyway. :roll:
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Nope - I spent my time with nice, polite and welcoming people. Was a little galling to be doing a 12 week term when they only did 8 and to get less grant ( those were the days) for doing it but I got over it (mostly) :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

daveg wrote:
magwich2 wrote:I cannot see any point in paying 9000 thousand pounds per annum to go to some ex-poly.
A couple of generations ago, ex-University College redbricks with recent charters in provincial towns were subject to much the same snobbery by graduates of Oxford, Cambridge and London. Which accounts for about 75% of the Russell Group, of course.
as was UCL when it was founded.. the Godless College of Gower Street