Medicine at Birmingham

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Marylou

Re: Medicine at Birmingham

Post by Marylou »

hermanmunster wrote: Re which to apply - my friend applied for both and was happy to be on the 5 year - has he spoken to the tutors at the university - am not sure how it would look having both on the form these days???
I'm thinking the Birmingham grad course might be a possibility if they are willing to overlook his relatively low GCSEs and lack of A*s, though...surely to goodness... :shock:... I really think using school grades obtained at 16 to differentiate between first-class honours graduates is downright lazy - don't work experience and suitability for the job come into it anywhere? He's been told by Birmingham that they prefer graduate applicants to take a gap year, which he is of course now doing anyway. I think applying for a combination of 4 and 5 year courses might be the way to go, but it's difficult to know which ones to target. I know he's not keen on BMAT, didn't do too badly on UKCAT but not high enough for the cutoff for some courses, and had a good reason for not doing GAMSAT but I can't remember what it was. And I thought vet med was complicated...
Marylou
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hull-York seems to have quite a high percentage of graduates - nephew is studying medicine there at the moment

They are sometimes ok regarding resits - one of the few
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Here's the route I took many moons ago: I didn't get a 'UCAS' offer, 'gave up' for those crucial months prior to A levels, but persevered...I wrote to all the Med schools in the UK, with my results, and asked what my chances were of being accepted. Most wrote back 'saying re-sit and ask again'. A couple asked me to visit, and having done so, I was offered an interview, and subsequent place. You have to keep asking, and not by the 'usual' route: you will stick in someone's mind as being determined, and worth a shot...there's so little to choose between candidates now, you have to stand out in the crowd, and show how determined and resourceful you are.

And yes, I did qualify, and carry on!