Anyone see Oxford's big story yesterday?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

twelveminus

Re: Anyone see Oxford's big story yesterday?

Post by twelveminus »

I went to Cambridge from a state school and found it anything but posh.Didn't notice any public school types at all.

I think it depends on the college you choose.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

We visited Cambridge last week for my DD. kings college. She fell in love with the place from the buildings, to the supervisory system, to the libraries and the resources and the tutors she met.
The other prospective students for her course were lovely, and totally normal. She met a wonderful boy from Milan, a Japanese boy who has lived in Glasgow for last few years, and lots of other interesting applicants. ( who she will be up against shortly once application goes in! :roll: )
We were worried about her choice of Oxbridge, we live in an inner city and are not well off, although we are educated and professional. She however, felt totally confident and at ease.
She does a lot of debating and European youth parliament and as she said "I've debated against Etonians and won, public schools and money don't make a difference. intellect does, if I am lucky eough to get a place here, then I am right to be here."
I'm concerned as she hasn't hasn't had a lot of support on personal statement, or choices of essay to send (she threw all AS essays away as didn't realise she'd need them) or any mock interviews. But there you go, she is full of raw talent, she is totally foccused in the subject she wants to study so does lots of reading and extra work in the area and she wants to go there. We'll see...........
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Good luck to her Neveragain. Sounds like she has the right attitude.
moved

Post by moved »

OH did a masters at Oxford about 8 years ago, he said the braying kind were disproportionately loud for their numbers. But easy to avoid.

My cousin studued English at Cambridge, she left 8 years ago. Her take on it was that you made friends with the people you liked and left the twits to it!

I turned down Cambridge, Pembroke college because I felt surrounded by public school brats when I was interviewed. I still think I was daft and more so as they made me a very low offer. But that was over 25 years ago!

If mine choose that route I will support them.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

That is good to hear moved. Essentially all any of us can do is support their choices by this age and if she wants to go for it then I'll be right by her side. She also happy with her other choices, LSE, Bristol etc.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Just about to take DS down (up?) to Cambridge this weekend and am hoping that it is a good experience for him. He is just an ordinary boy who has worked very hard at Grammar School so it is possible! I can't say he enjoyed the interview process but he was well prepared and it didn't throw him off balance. He had no issues with any of the other students there - I hope that this will be his experience when he starts for real.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Guest55 wrote:The problem with Oxbridge is that there is still a lot of prejudice once you get there.
I know this is a very old post but wanted to bump this re prejudice

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox ... e-26574149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://itooamoxford.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
moved

Post by moved »

How sad.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

moseleymum wrote:
Guest55 wrote:The problem with Oxbridge is that there is still a lot of prejudice once you get there.
I know this is a very old post but wanted to bump this re prejudice

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox ... e-26574149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://itooamoxford.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is really sad. I was at Oxford nearly 25 years ago and there was only one black person in my whole college - he was even the subject of an episode of Channel 4's Black Bag.
I honestly thought things would have changed by now.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Things have changed for the better, but that does not sell newspapers, or allow progress to change even more.

Yes some of the statements are truly ignorant, but some are just what people say when faced with something different. For example "yes my hair is real, don't touch without asking" My friend has a head of white blond thick curls down her back, she has the same comments and actions, she loves it's an ice breaker for her, and a confidence booster. The guy who declares " I don't sell cocaine" wearing shades, long greasy hair, a goatee and a suede jacket, looking like he walked off a guy Ritchie film set....the colour of his skin has little to do with that stereotype.

Like any campaign, it has to make a lot of noise to get recognition, if the campaign said "we are doing really well at integration of all students, but please try a little harder to think before opening your mouth", it probably would have been ignored.
I am not naive, I do not suggest there is not racism at Oxford or anywhere, but why is there not a ginger haired girl holding a board saying "i am not quick tempered" or a Welsh lad " I cannot sing" or my friend originally from southern Ireland' s favourite "no I do not have a property empire back home...I live in bucks"

Basically if you look a bit different, speak a bit different, and choose to dress a bit different from all your peers the chances are some ignoranium will at some point, say something daft.

"Are you an oversees student" if asked prior to conversation is pretty ignorant but during a conversation, where an accent is evident, surely is showing interest in someone? I suspect "where are you from" is one of the most common questions on campus between everone seeing as all ends of the world are bundled together.

Just saying...not all doom and gloom imo, but can be improved by one and all, think about it...what would your placard say...My dh' s who is very tall would read "no, if I was in proportion I would be 8 foot tall" :wink: My skinny son.. " mum never feeds me" and me "No I don't drive a 4 wheel drive".
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now