Anyone with dc currently at Oxbridge? Or any info of?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Loopyloulou

Re: Anyone with dc currently at Oxbridge? Or any info of?

Post by Loopyloulou »

Amber wrote: I think maybe those hoping that Oxford and Cambridge might provide the last refuge from nasty behaviour might be disappointed...the middle classes are just as prone to boorish behaviour and selfish, patronising attitudes as anyone else.
I'm sorry Amber, but I can't let that pass. We have just come out of some appallingly horrrible, lengthy, pointless and unfair litigation where the lying toerags on the other side were trying, in effect, to steal from us ("adverse possession" was the issue if anyone is interested). And they very nearly got away with it too. Thank God last month (and quite by accident) we found some conclusive evidence in our favour and they have now gone away, but not before we have racked up legal fees of thousands which cannot be reclaimed. They were idiots to take matters as far as they did, doubtless motivated by greed. Their behaviour has been utterly disgraceful. However I feel sure that their class background contributed hugely to it. I am not suggesting that the middle or upper classes are always blameless, but I do think that there is a set of values held by the middle classes which, on the whole, come through.
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
Amber

Post by Amber »

Loopyloulou wrote:, but I do think that there is a set of values held by the middle classes which, on the whole, come through.
Those would be the same values that led politicians to fiddle their expenses, and professionals of all kinds to use illegal tax 'loopholes', would they?

While I am sorry to hear of your trouble, I can't help feeling we expect different standards from different types of people. It's ok to 'get round' tax but not to fiddle your benefits?
marigold

Post by marigold »

I am sure Ms R Brooks and Mr A Coulson consider themselves middle class and look at their appalling behaviour.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

A quick look at the biographies of those two shows that they are not middle class, no matter what they might consider themselves to be. Also where the politicians are concerned, none of the five MPs and one lord so far charged can be described as middle class, (and none went to Oxford or Cambridge for that matter).
I am not saying that the middle classes are perfect, but their behaviour usually differs from that of the lower class, and is usually to be preferred.
Loopy
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

In fact can anyone think of a middle class individual who attended Oxbridge who has behaved badly in public life? (Prime Ministers in office excepted :wink: ).
Loopy
marigold

Post by marigold »

Jonathan Aitkin
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Agreed.
I'm sure he's not the only one...
Loopy
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Loopyloulou wrote:In fact can anyone think of a middle class individual who attended Oxbridge who has behaved badly in public life? (Prime Ministers in office excepted :wink: ).
Bettaney and Cairncross
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Nick Griffin.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Philby, Maclean, Burgess and Blunt.