Missing them when they are gone

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Belinda

Missing them when they are gone

Post by Belinda »

Pottering downstairs this morning, trying to be quiet so as not to wake DD... It took me over an hour to remember that she is not here. :shock: Not unusual you may think, but how could I forget that I spent 12 hours taking her back to uni yesterday. :? Doctor, or a holiday, needed? Mmmm...
harlequin

Re: Missing them when they are gone

Post by harlequin »

Belinda wrote:Pottering downstairs this morning, trying to be quiet so as not to wake DD... It took me over an hour to remember that she is not here. :shock: Not unusual you may think, but how could I forget that I spent 12 hours taking her back to uni yesterday. :? Doctor, or a holiday, needed? Mmmm...
Belinda

I'd say definitely a holiday - perhaps all the stress with getting everything sorted. Which Uni is she at?

We are going to drop our DD off tomorrow - DD has started packing today!! Will be so strange not having her around - will miss her in more ways than one :(

Harlequin
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

We took our daughter last weekend, and I can't believe how quiet the house is. My older daughter moved away in July, and I really miss both of them :(

I have two boys left at home, although the oldest just back from uni is never here much, so really its just me, OH and youngest who is 14, and at that stage where he is either playing the piano as loudly as possible or maintaining his position in his bedroom, in front of a screen of some sort if he is even here. :(

I am feeling quite old and lonely :cry:

Belinda, when my first one went to uni, I kept on putting his plate out at dinner time for weeks.....although I knew he wasn't here, my brain seemed to keep the information hidden away. And yes as harlequin says a holiday would be a good idea, I think :D
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frosties

Post by frosties »

My DC applied for medicine last year. No A*s at GCSE, got 8 GCSEs mixed results including a grade C.
Did medlink at Nottingham University, a weeks experience in our local hospital and a few weeks in a nursing home and UKCAT test.
DC's main outside interest was playing in a band, got asked lots about this. No D of E etc
DC got interviews and an offer. At the interviews no one asked about the work experience.
A consultant friend has told us the universities are not interested in box ticking exercises, but in personalities, which seems absolutely the right thing to me. I would say only do relevant work experience that will help make up your mind that medicine is the right career for you.
frosties

Post by frosties »

Oops posted the above on wrong thread!
But now I'm on this thread, yes I'm missing mine dreadfully.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thanks frosties.....it is a tough time :(
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I cried for 6 months when my son left :(

I stood at the door with my baby of 4 months in my arms and waved my son goodbye wondering how on earth the years had slipped by since he'd been a baby in my arms.

I was totally devastated and even to this day (15 years later) it can still bring tears to my eyes.

It's a really hard time when they leave :cry:
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Oh snowdrops that brought a tear to my eye....trying to prepare myself emotionally for when my DD goes this time next year.....we are now in a flurry of blooming UCAS, personal statements (edit, edit and more edit) and trying to find 3 essays to send to uni who want them when she has thrown all but one away from AS levels and hasn't done any new ones this term........ :roll:
I try to focus on the positive aspects of it but the reality is I will miss her terribly , the whole family will. My DS (11) is already talking about it...... :(
So options appear to be, go on 3 year holiday, stock up on Valium, take a ou course so totally overwhelmed with work and study, have another baby at 46 ( :lol: ) become a cougar.........
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Well, neveragain, I did do the last two points in your list (albeit I was 40 when I had last dd), but it doesn't help. They do leave such a hole in your life, then you see them blossom into adults and make their own way and that is your reward, and very comforting it is too.

My main worry now is son is 33 and I long to see him settle down. He had a serious girlfriend last year, but that came to nothing. I like the current one much better :D :D :D :D :D :D ( a mother's place is ALWAYS to be pleased for your child's choice unless it involves drink or drugs!) - don't get me wrong, I'm not after grandchildren (far from it :shock: :shock: ) I just really want to see him happy (not that he's unhappy, but I'm sure you all know what I mean).

Find yourselves new hobbies, s'all you can do really.