Anyone looked at studying in Europe?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesatea

Re: Anyone looked at studying in Europe?

Post by Minesatea »

Thanks I will get DS to take a look on TSR. We are also thinking ahead as he is only year 10 but Utrecht would logistically be a great option for him.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

year 10 is a great time to start looking - we left it all a bit late and juggling it with UCAS at the same time was tricky with deadlines etc. They do a "student for a day" programme - allowing students to get a better feel for the place:

To get to know UCU better, we encourage students to visit our Open days in March or November. You will find out all about our program and campus, and you are able to ask your questions to all teachers, tutors, staff and students around.

If after that you want to know how it really feels to be a student at UCU, you can participate in our Student for a Day (SFaD) event. You will join a UCU student on an ordinary academic day, sit in on one or more classes, walk around campus and enjoy a meal or a drink: it is up to you and your student guide.

Would need to go to open day too - so 2 trips but worth it as quite a commitment. Utrecht looks quick train trip from Schiphol !
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

We live 30 mins from Harwich International! Utrecht Central is available on Stenna's Rail and Sail tickets so would be looking for that as DS's mode of transport. We also have friends living about 25 mins(cycle time) from the campus so they could put us up for an open day (we regularly impose anyway - usually on the way home from a centerparcs!)
It is difficult as DS's Dutch is limited to pleasantries and menu translation so he would need a English taught course but the campus may not be the best place to improve his Dutch which is what he is keen to do. It is very difficult to practice your spoken Dutch over there, as soon as you say "goededag" to a local they want to practice their English. :roll:
moved

Post by moved »

That was our problem in Paris too! I had the ridiculous situation of me speaking French and them speaking English!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yes - gather they also expect much conversation in residences / over meals etc to take place in english (presumably so no one is left out ) - reckon hard to learn dutch there as everyone starts speaking english to to you.

somewhere I saw the breakdown of nationalities.. will hunt
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I know this is an old thread, but 3 years on did anyone's DC pursue a degree a European country?

The Dutch degrees look very interesting and such good value. Did anyone go to an open day or apply?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

My eldest daughter is due back in the next three weeks from her exchange year abroad whiles't at her University.She was allocated a Australian University but some of her friends went to some of the following partner institutions in Europe:

1.Copenhagen Business School, Denmark

2.Aalto University, School of Business, Finland

3.Lund University, Sweden

4.Stockholm Business School

5.Uppsala University, Sweden

6.NHH, Bergen, Norway

7.RSM, Erasmus, Rotterdam, Netherlands

8.Vrije University, Amsterdam, Netherlands

9.University of Economics, Prague, Czech Republic

10.WU Wien, Vienna, Austria

11.University of Mannheim, Germany

12.Universitat St Gallen, Switzerland

13.IESEG, Lille, France

14.Ecole de Management, Strasbourg, France

15.Bocconi-University, Milan, Italy

16.ESADE Business School, Barcelona, Spain and

17.Universidad Carlos III de Madrid

Exchange years abroad are very common at many UK Universities now as is studying for a degree at a European University.Many of these are courses in the English language unless you are going on a language exchange.

There were articles in the press in February 2015 which suggested you would be able to apply directly to some European Universities through UCAS.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate ... g-overseas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a link on UCAS to sponsored content from two European Universities.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I know three youngsters who've just finished their freshman year at US universities so can speak with some authority on its undergraduate system - though not Europe, I'm afraid! Feel free to pm me if you'd like further details.
Last edited by Warks mum on Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amber

Post by Amber »

DD got as far as visiting Utrecht university and was tempted for a while. I am not sure what put her off in the end - certainly not a lack of adventurous spirit. I think maybe it was the issue of finding accommodation and/or the transferability of qualifications. I know the application was never submitted. I think she will maybe go abroad at masters level - though whether Europe is an option by then or we will be looking at former colonies is as yet unknown.
KB

Post by KB »

Weirdly, I overheard a (very loud!) conversation about this. Only point I actually picked up was that the person had received a surprisingly low grade offer.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now