A year out before uni? Problems studying again?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Y

A year out before uni? Problems studying again?

Post by Y »

Hi

Anyone out there had a DC take a gap year prior to university? How did they find getting back into the swing of studying afterwards?

Thanks

Y
Marylou

Re: A year out before uni? Problems studying again?

Post by Marylou »

Yes, and no problem at all! She was just so relieved to be finally doing the course she wanted to do. The gap year was somewhat enforced due to it being a heavily oversubscribed course, but it provided an opportunity to do some travelling and get a full-time job, the savings from which are proving very useful in the first year.

DD also subscribed to some free online university modules to help with interviews and as a way of staying in practice with studying. Most of the time, though, she just enjoyed having an exam-free year (apart from BMAT), the first for years and also the last for some time to come!

Studying for an extra A-level might also be a useful way of staying in the studying mindset and also looks good on the UCAS form if planning to submit an application during the gap year.
Marylou
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, my son took a gap year (from choice) and got himself a full time job which he enjoyed so much he very nearly didn't go to university. Luckily at the very last moment he took stock and realised what he was about to throw away and decided to go to in after all.

All was good in the end and he soon settled into uni life leaving with a masters in chemistry :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

I have never heard of anyone regretting a year out after school. At DD's school the careers teacher said he wished everyone would do it. A friend's DC is in the middle of a gap year, also doing a full time job. Has grown up and matured enormously, had a great time and is looking forward to starting uni in October, with renewed confidence. And some money.
I am delighted that DD is planning this too - I can only see benefits, so long as it isn't, as a teacher put it, one long holiday paid for by the bank of mum and dad. Which it definitely won't be here!
Y

Post by Y »

Thanks for responses so far.

I'm very keen for my DD to take a year out, develop some more practical skills (!), get a job, travel (particularly relating to her choice of subjects), exercise (!), develop general maturity and independence, do something other than worry about exams etc. From my great age I can see all the advantages, and I'd rather she had a gap year before university than after it. I watched a number of my friends struggle to settle into employment when they took a post-uni gap year.

My DD likes the idea, but is very nervous about losing the studying mindset. I've suggested she could maintain her studying with tutoring - and one of her subjects would need to be maintained through the year out, because it is eminently forgettable. Who does the free online modules?

I'm also not sure how this may impact her applications to university. I've seen suggestions that it can reduce your chances of an offer. For her choice of subjects she only has Russell Group universities available to her - she may even struggle to put 6 on her application form. When does the request need to go in for a gap year? How is it best handled?

All responses gratefully received!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

My DD did some modules from this course in Medical Ethics, run by the Norwegian Medical Association: http://www.wma.net/en/70education/10onl ... /30ethics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It used to be associated with a Norwegian university but the interface looks the same. There is a list of free online lectures here http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I don't know if they are any good, you might need to have a hunt around! DD had originally intended to follow an OU course but the one she had been interested in wasn't being offered when she wanted to do it. OU modules are now more expensive since the fee increase, but the OU assesses the income of the student rather than their parents, so this might be worth investigating as a possible avenue for study during a gap year. Especially if the subject is something that needs to be kept in practice, as you mentioned.

As regards practical skills, it really can be a massive boost to the confidence to leave home able to cope with shopping, cooking, washing, etc. DD learned much of this during her gap year. She now shares a flat with five people who went to university straight from school, but is far better able to cope with living away from home despite not being much older than them, with an August birthday. She's had to teach them how to do a lot of things and her nickname is "Mum"! :lol:

Regarding whether taking a year out will affect chances of an offer - only the universities can answer this. However, if one of the purposes of the gap year is to save a nest-egg to help manage the living costs while at university, I would hope that admissions departments would regard this as a sensible and mature approach, especially as so many students struggle with their finances.
Marylou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Maths, Engineering and science departments are less keen on gap years; otherwise go for it!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I had a 10 year gap between college ( HNC) and uni, took me a while to get back in the swing of it, but once I did I was fine! ( hands hurt though, hadn't done that much writing in years!)
solimum

Post by solimum »

Guest55 wrote:Maths, Engineering and science departments are less keen on gap years; otherwise go for it!
Not necessarily - DS1 took a planned gap year and worked at an engineering firm as part of the official "Year In Industry" scheme which is run by the Engineering Development Trust (they've changed their name since his day, but they also ran the lower 6th scheme in which he spent a morning a week with a small group of fellow pupils working on an engineering project). He applied at the normal time for deferred entry (from memory, not sure at which stage the YINI was finalised), went on to do a 4 year Mech Eng degree and is now nearing the end (we hope!) of a PhD. During the year he still lived at home as his placement was local, although some do move away and are helped with accommodation - he matured a lot, earned some money, made some very good friends, we adjusted to his growing independence, so much that on his 19th birthday (August ) he set off, alone, on a round-the-world ticket for a month via Australia, Fiji, Hawaii and San Francisco...

Also as part of the YINI scheme they had to do an online maths module to keep their skills up to scratch (I think from Aston University, but equivalent IIRC to some of the more "applied" A level Further Maths topics)
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

More links for the OP! A colleague recommended some more websites for free online courses.

https://www.coursera.org/courses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - 33 universities including Edinburgh and London. Have to admit I'm sorely tempted by A Beginner's Guide to Irrational Behavior run by Duke University. :lol: Lots of other interesting stuff on there.

https://www.edx.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - courses by universities in America, Canada, Australia and Switzerland

https://www.udacity.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - maths and computer science

https://www.canvas.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - everything from Algebra to Film Noir!

http://2u.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - there is a charge for these courses which offer qualifications

Plenty there to keep the leetle grey cells ticking over during a gap year! :mrgreen:
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now