A year out before uni? Problems studying again?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KB

Re: A year out before uni? Problems studying again?

Post by KB »

Engineering is the exception for science and maths and only if relevent experience is gained during the year so that skills, including Maths, are kept up to speed.
Most science and maths courses do not like gap years because skills get rusty - were as for Arts and Languages it is easier for students to keep up to speed individually and skills can be gained that enhance degree level study.

If a year out is 'forced' rather than a 'choice' then since each admissions tutor tends to have their own views it can be quite a task to contact Universities to guage where it is/isnt worth applying to but it is worth it to avoid 'wasted' applications.
Y

Post by Y »

Thanks to Marylou for those extra links. I'll take a look.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, there's little chance of a 'wasted' application for my DD because we're struggling to find 6 universities to put on the application!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Y wrote:Fortunately, or unfortunately, there's little chance of a 'wasted' application for my DD because we're struggling to find 6 universities to put on the application!
I thought you are only able to state up to 5 options on the UCAS form for most courses?

DD only had a choice or 7 universities offering the course she wanted to do, of which she was only allowed to pick 4.
Marylou
Y

Post by Y »

You may well be right. I got the figure of 6 from a bit of Googling, but would be pleased to hear the definitive, correct number from someone who's been through it!
hobbit

Post by hobbit »

Good for those for whom taking a GAP year worked as positive. This is may not be the case for all. DD took a GAP year as had chance to work as an Inter at leading company and went to Africa for 6 months with VSO. We thought this was great idea at the time but on starting university has found it very difficult to get back in the swing of studies.

You may want to read this article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/hubs/ ... nrich.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It gives the the pros and cons.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Up to 5 choices on UCAS application; my DC only put four in the end as his course selection and preferences re location and accommodation options meant only four courses met his criteria.
lambbone

Post by lambbone »

My DD really wasn't sure if she wanted to go to University or not, so I suggested she apply for deferred entry and see how she felt.

She got her place and accepted it, then worked full time as a sports instructor. After 3 or 4 months she announced that she had decided that she did want to go, and fully committed herself "in her head" to this.

She started at Exeter Uni in September and is loving it, working really hard, doing very well, and really getting involved. No problems at all getting back into study. She'd ordered some textbooks for her course during the year and kept up with her reading once she'd decided to go.

Had she gone to Uni straight from school it would have been a disaster. She would have been doing it just because it was expected of her. But no-one put any pressure on her one way or the other so it was a positive choice which she fully "owned".
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now