silverysea

Re: Map for Y8 to vet school please

Post by silverysea »

Wow.

Just, wow.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

silverysea wrote: Anyone met an American vet here? Or an Irish (Southern) one?
I've had vets from all over the world out to us. South African, Australian, Irish, Belgian. I haven't met an American yet. The equine dentist is training in Slovakia - the course is taught in English. I don't know the registration rules, but he will be qualified to work here.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

wonderwoman wrote: The equine dentist is training in Slovakia - the course is taught in English. I don't know the registration rules, but he will be qualified to work here.
Yes, there are some courses in Eastern Europe that are run in English and qualify graduates to practise in the UK, though I believe they also have to sit some kind of final exam here to convince the RCVS that they are of the required standard. The one in Slovakia is popular with British applicants, as is the one in Hungary. I know someone who has just completed her second year in Budapest and is thoroughly enjoying it. The fees are roughly in Euros what ours are in pounds, and the cost of living is quite low, though remember that there are no loans available for courses outside the UK. To qualify you have to attend an interview (I think???) and pass exams in Biology and Chemistry (similar papers available online from Budapest University). Compared to the system here, the courses seem quite straightforward to access - but I've heard that the real competition comes at the end of the first year when the exams are used as a kind of "culling" process, in which a proportion of the intake do not score highly enough to be allowed to continue.

Dublin University also has a vet school, which is theoretically free to EU residents but there's an annual "registration charge" of about 2,000 euros - you'll have to check for current figures. DD went over there to have a look at the department. The cost of living is extremely high, however, and student accommodation is difficult to come by. And, again, it's outside the student loan system. As for qualifications, only candidates able to offer 4 A-levels with grades A*AAA as a minimum would stand a chance, as anything less would not score enough points for the Irish system. They also specify a modern language at GCSE, which not all prospective applicants would have.

Check here http://www.eaeve.org/about-eaeve/history-and-aims.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for accredited courses in Europe.
Marylou
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Sallyltb wrote:Although most unis say they will consider you with six weeks, most like a lot more and Liverpool want 15 weeks now to get an interview.
I'm a bit late to this thread. DD1 has just done GCSEs and has 2 weeks of small animal practice experience lined up for this year. Is there a break-down of how they like the 15 weeks?
TIA
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

They are quite specific in their requirements. The breakdown of the basic 10 weeks which used to be the norm is found here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Ve ... y_Medicine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I assume the extra 5 weeks is now being used as an extra differentiating feature. A bit excessive in my opinion, especially since they don't even read applicants' personal statements in the initial stages!

Ten weeks total work experience (a “week” is defined by the uni as one working week, so can range from five days to the full seven, depending on the working pattern at the establishment you are attending)

Of these ten weeks you must have:

Four weeks Veterinary Work Experience – two weeks large animal and two weeks small animal (preferably made up of at least two different practices)
Six weeks Animal Husbandry Work Experience (placements that are advised include: Farms, particularly dairy farms; Kennels/Catteries; and Riding Schools/Livery Yards. It is often suggested that candidates should also try and undertake some lambing work.)
Other placements such as zoo placements or a day in an abattoir/research (this is pretty much just the cherry on the work experience cake - get all the other vital placements done before you even consider these)

Applicants have to fill in a questionnaire in the first instance to show what work experience they have done, and for Liverpool it really does seem like a "box-ticking" exercise, imo. It's best to get as much and as varied as possible, ideally in two-week chunks, as spending too much time in one area means it might not be counted when filling in the questionnaire. This is unlike other universities which, although they also wish to see as much and as varied work experience as possible, want to read what candidates have actually learned from it in the personal statement. I assume this is covered at the interview stage in Liverpool.
Marylou
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

I wonder exactly how much 'practical' work is really included in the Harper course. I'd be interested in feedback. It's also interesting that it says it is considered essential by vet schools (or words to that effect) when I thought none of these courses (especially the privately run ones, accordingly to one uni) actually endorse applications but merely assist the applicant in their understanding of what's ahead.

The reason I ask is that I'd found this one by the Royal Veterinary College for a 5 day course (hence more expensive!!) which seems to do a similar thing in the itinerary but again, just how practical is it or does practical just mean walking around the site rather than sat in a classroom?? This one says it provides a certificate of attendance. Does that carry any more weight being the RVC than other private providers?
http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Undergraduate/Docu ... cation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm still of the opinion that none of these will carry any weight, including the RVC one, as they are not hands-on enough but good for showing some commitment and enlightenment.

Comments welcomed.
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

They look quite similar. Main difference is that the Harper Adams course has an exam, which means passing it gets you UCAS points. Not that the points are much use, but thet demonstrate that it has academic rigour. I wouldn't rely on the courses to bump up your work experience total.