Medicine ?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JSN

Re: Medicine ?

Post by JSN »

Guest55 wrote:The changes to A level have not been finalised as yet, no specifications have been written. No-one really know whether they will go ahead for certain.
I didn't know that I thought it was "done deal" :oops:

anyway I hope A levels do become linear and allow student time to reflect on complex ideas and restore A levels to the world gold standard qualification at 18 that it used to be !
and I do not rate " the student room" mostly "the blind leading the blind"
jemima

Post by jemima »

Just out of interest. I am the Mum of the med. student who moved to music. Also my daughter started in law at Oxford this year. Have other uni. aged ch. also. Guess all I can say is - they need to do what they WANT - and if they find they don't want - then they need to change. Sometimes they don't know what they want until they've tried it. I think (at GCSE) we have 27 A*s and 14 A's and 8 B's between first 3 - I think the one who got the most B's will be the most focussed in what he wants to do! (none of the others got b's!)
Interestingly the one at Oxford is one of 10 intitial offers - 7 arrived at Oxford - 3 didn't make the grade and Oxford will not re offer courses - One dropped out due to intensity - the work load is VERY intense.
JSN

Post by JSN »

I just wanted to add to this thread before it sinks into oblivion !
there is no hierarchy amongst Med Schools, standards are regulated by an external body The G.M.C that is to say an MBchB from Oxbridge is at no higher level/more difficult than say Keele/Lancaster/Portmouth.
Number of total entries per yr is determined by the needs of NHS , irrespective of the number of candidates that get ABB unlike other degrees at Russel group Unis.
Medical Degrees are essentially pass/or fail no 1-1 2-1 ect, although some can get MBchB with merit or distrinction even this make little difference to future prospects ,since gaining at a degree in medicine and surgery is only the beginning of a long road to success , what you do at postgrad level is much more important than what Med School one went to!
Medine is not an intellectual challange ( if you want that ,than go do Theoretical Physics) but one has to absorb a huge amount of information , learn to recognise patterns of disease , think on one's feet,have fantastic communication skills, have respect for the vulnerable and most importantly know ones limitations of knowledge or skill.
It is a very worth while career and should be considered a privilege to be a doctor :D GOOD LUCK
vas

Post by vas »

Thank you JSN for your very informative post; also to all others who have contributed in a very positive and encouraging way to those who wish to read medicine.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Hear hear.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

Thanks to everyone for your extremely useful replies. Just wondered whether any of you who mentioned Medlink X have attended the courses and whether you/your child found them useful ?
Amber

Post by Amber »

DD attended it. She enjoyed it but does not feel it added anything useful nor taught her anything which she couldn't have found out elsewhere. It is very expensive for what it is.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Please do not confuse Medlink with MedlinkX courses (see my post on page 2!).

The first is a two-three day course for potential medical applicants with residential costs added in, for year 11-13. It is in term time and you will need school authorisation.

The second is a taster course of one day for £27.50 per person, for year 9 and 10 and their parents/tutors, etc. This splits some lectures out as it is predominantly a day for potential medical students and veterinary students. It is on a Saturday, usually in London or Nottingham but only Nottingham this year.

I was prepared to take my daughter on medlinkX in London as I thought the itinerary sounded quite good but I cannot travel to Nottingham for it. I don't know anyone else who's been on it.
Amber

Post by Amber »

franticmum wrote:Please do not confuse Medlink with MedlinkX courses (see my post on page 2!)..
:oops: :oops:
Guilty as charged. Sorry it's been a bad day. Was only trying to help but can see I have not. Story of my life.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

I'm sorry, Amber, I didn't mean to make you feel bad! I should've put a smiley face after the brackets as it was meant tongue-in-cheek!

Your experiences and opinions are always helpful and interesting so don't take it personally. Perhaps I should take some responsibility for it being hidden in the middle of a slightly different conversation within the thread!