Medicine ?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: Medicine ?

Post by Amber »

sherry_d wrote:I thought you only needed 3 A levels for most courses so a 4th choice wouldn't really matter what it was. Is it different for medicine? Do they really need 4 A levels or just your best 3 including chemistry? I didn't realise they were courses that demanded 4 A levels apart from some one or two Oxbridge colleges.
No you are right; but the 4th subject is studied to AS level and then usually dropped. Some universities seem to like it if that is a little different. It gives a little more scope for a teeny bit of what the English education system passes off as 'breadth', Sherry... :wink:
jemima

Post by jemima »

I think you refer to my son who did a year of medicine and then swapped to music!

If it helps I'll re-post his details 8A* and 5 A's - good BMAT and excellent UKCAT.
Failed Oxford because of GCSE * percentage.
5 A levels at A grade (just before A*)
GP surgery work experience.

Medicine at Leeds.

When he realised he couldn't get up and practice piano at 5 am every morning because he had to go to surgery - he found his real passion - music. When he realised euthanasia is real (can't be specific - but is relevant to how some of our elderly patients are treated)

UPDATE:
DD1: Music - poor but happy - if you need a wedding organist please ask!) (£100 an hour)
DD 2 doing teaching LOVES it (5A*s 6 A's - GCSE - ABBC Science A levels)
DD3 - Brasenose Oxford Law - (13A*s, 1A plus YASS course - 4 A levels 2A* 2 A)
DD4 - Back into grammar sixth form - phew! he was an 11 plus appeal but walked back in with 12 GCSE A's and B's and I am sooooo proud.

I've learned a lot:

We listened
We advised
We supported
We helped if we could

THEY made their own minds up!

We can only do our best and be supportive.
Good luck!
moose

Post by moose »

I think you refer to my son who did a year of medicine and then swapped to music!

If it helps I'll re-post his details 8A* and 5 A's - good BMAT and excellent UKCAT.
Failed Oxford because of GCSE * percentage.
Do GSCE result really matter that much? Is it only for Oxbridge or other universities, as well.
KB

Post by KB »

Oxbridge are more up front about it but yes there are other institutions that look at GCSEs - some will specify.
With some it is a 'meet the criteria' or rejected situation but with others it will be taken along with other criteria.
If you have a DC with GCSEs that aren't on a par with their A level expectations then its probably worth checking with specific admissions officers rather than 'waste' a UCAS choice.
It isn't 'the end of the world' but yes GCSE grades are important.
JSN

Post by JSN »

"Requirements

To be called for interview, we require evidence of sustained academic performance over a number of years of study. Therefore we look at all academic qualifications or predictions from GCSEs and Standard Grades through to A Levels, Highers and Advanced Highers (or other equivalent qualifications).

From experience of applications in previous years it would appear that to be competitive, applicants with A Levels require a minimum of 8 A grades at GCSE (to include Maths and Sciences) to be taken at one sitting and predictions of A*AA at A level.

Scottish applicants should offer Credit 1 at Standard Grade (or Intermediate 2, grade A or B) in Maths and Sciences, a minimum of AAAAB at Higher and at least 2 A grade predictions for S6 study in either new Highers or Advanced Highers. 3 subjects in S6 should be studied; a mix of (Advanced Highers and new Highers will be considered.

Applicants offering other qualifications should seek guidance from the Medical Admissions office "

from St Andrews Med School, from my experience this is typical across the U.K , but I would expect Oxbridge /Imperial average/competitive grades to be somewhat higher
If your child comes from low performing school i.e few if any gain entry to Oxbride/MED schools AAA is common offer and at St Goerges' Med school even lower thAn that around BBB
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

This is the first opportunity to revisit this thread so sorry for the late response. Just an update on medlink courses. The one I mentioned was 'medlink x', for y9 and y10's. It is £27.50 for the day. Not to be confused with the 'medlink' course for y12/13's which is a two day course, I believe, though not checked recently, and hence much pricier. MedlinkX 2014, is not in London next year owing to building work, only Nottingham.

Medlink X is also on a Saturday.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

one point for those interested in Oxbridge.
Oxford as mentioned already are interested in your GCSE's
Cambridge are more interested in your AS ums points.

and at my DD's school, those of her friends who did better at AS the GCSE went for Cambridge, and visa versa for Oxford.
JSN

Post by JSN »

JSN wrote:minimum of 8 A grades at GCSE (to include Maths and Sciences) to be taken at one sitting
that word minimum is important i.e that is not the average GCSE grades for entry ,most of the students I deal with have significantly higher grades i.e mostly A* in the top 8 academic subjects.
these min grades are from kids from poor backgrounds/schools , and yes they do just as well as those from elite schools in my experience who generally have straight A*
all the top universities use such contextual data.
JSN

Post by JSN »

"Cambridge are more interested in your AS ums points."
but AS are being phased out , A levels will be linear and AS a stand alone qualification, so Cambridge will have to resort to GCSE and A levels predictions, which is a better predictor?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... ccess.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The changes to A level have not been finalised as yet, no specifications have been written. No-one really know whether they will go ahead for certain.

The student room has a good section on medicine with explanations about the requirements of each course.