University apply

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Re: University apply

Post by hermanmunster »

Kit wrote:I know of one course (Medicine at Bart's) where predicted/ achieved UCAS tariff score, however achieved, is a big factor in deciding who makes it to interview. Apparently 4 A levels at A grade or equivalent tariff points is pretty much the minimum needed.
Indeed - sounding like 500 points : useful discussion on TSR about it
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthr ... ?t=2059198" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
moved

Post by moved »

I thought that Barts had a standard offer of AAAb or AAAC.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I'm surprised Les Ebdon and co. haven't cottoned on to this one. Effectively insisting on 4 X A2 is hardly "widening participation", since many schools - mainly state schools - don't offer the opportunity to do more than three. DD was told by several universities that having 4 A2s wouldn't confer any advantage in her veterinary application because of this (even though I'm sure it didn't do her any harm, especially on her second application when they were already in the bag! :wink: )

I sympathise with the medical schools, though, as they are flooded with applicants offering top grades and a 4th A2 in a relevant subject is one way of differentiating at the top end of the field. It's not a fair way, though, as many who would be capable of doing it don't get the chance. The only other course I've heard of which requires applicants to offer 4 A2s to meet a minimum points requirement is in Dublin, which is of course outside the UCAS system. It also shows a lack of imagination on the part of admissions - is someone with 4xA* necessarily going to make a better doctor than someone meeting a minimum academic requirement of (for example) AAB? :?
Marylou
Kit

Post by Kit »

I think the standard offer is AAAb or AAAC, but to be in with a chance of receiving one, you need to have a higher UCAS tariff (confusing I know!). But these extra UCAS points can be from any of the UCAS approved qualifications, including horse riding, speech and drama, BTECs etc. and these obviously don't then form part of the offer.
At DC's school everyone takes General Studies, so that counts for a fourth A level without too much extra work.
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

Kit wrote:At DC's school everyone takes General Studies, so that counts for a fourth A level without too much extra work.
From the Barts & the London web site: 'General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted subjects at AS and A-level'.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Very few universities seem to like General Studies. One or two are OK with Critical Thinking though.
Kit

Post by Kit »

Sallyltb wrote:
Kit wrote:At DC's school everyone takes General Studies, so that counts for a fourth A level without too much extra work.
From the Barts & the London web site: 'General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted subjects at AS and A-level'.

Also from the Barts website (MB BS selection criteria):

We will calculate your tariff for all tariffable qualifications you list on your UCAS application including those that are not taken into consideration for meeting our minimum academic requirements e.g. An AS or A’level in General Studies or Critical Thinking.
debs2028

Post by debs2028 »

My ds is at Barts . He is just commencing year 3 . The year of his admission , interviews were given to those with the highest UKCAT. Although my ds did do 4 A levels.
I don't understand why schools would not allow students to do 4 A levels it is usually only a case of carrying on from there AS levels. My ds went to a local comprehensive
For Barts General studies is accepted for UCAS points ...BUT ...if you are given an offer post interview it is not considered as part of the offer
For anyone considering applying my ds loves his course , but it is a lot of work and I think doing 4 A levels in some way helped with the amount of intense work required. He would definitely recommend the medical school
Debs :D
parents666

Post by parents666 »

My niece has applied for language and politics- my sister is worried about job prospect!
My knowledge is limited in that area- could any one possibly advise what kind of jobs do they apply?
Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

parents666 wrote:My niece has applied for language and politics- my sister is worried about job prospect!
My knowledge is limited in that area- could any one possibly advise what kind of jobs do they apply?
Thanks
Nothing wrong with doing a degree in an subject you enjoy, there are a great many careers that require "a good degree" to start in - often the subject is not defined.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now