Does taking A levels early impact on university offers?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rob Clark

Re: Does taking A levels early impact on university offers?

Post by Rob Clark »

I'm sure that people who work in university admissions department are perfectly well aware that FSMQ maths only goes to 'A', magwitch! After all, so do AS levels :roll:
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Quote - Advice from the school is that early entry has, 'occasionally caused one or two problems' :?

Well. that's more than they have ever been prepared to admit to me!
daveg

Post by daveg »

magwich2 wrote:beware of doing FSMQ maths as you can only get an A and many university admissions tutors will not be aware of this
What utter rubbish.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Not at all Daveg - did a poll amongst admissions staff (friends) before I posted.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't think you can draw a conclusion from that small sample Magwich2. I think between the other posters on this thread we have a more representative sample; certainly I deal with UCAS admissions on a regular basis.
daveg

Post by daveg »

An admissions tutors who can't distinguish between a Level 2 qualification and a Level 3 qualification (the FSMQ Add Maths is Level 3, and notionally at least attracts UCAS points) probably should not be doing the job.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

So today I emailed a few universities to ask if ds doing early A levels and potentially not sitting 3 x A2s in one go could impact on any offer they might make. So far I've had the following responses:

Imperial - "... the plan of action you have set out for your son is very much in line with what we are looking for and, given that it gives an earlier indication of your son's actual ability at AS and A Level, it might well strengthen his application. While it is an unusual approach, the important thing is that he is doing the subjects we favour."

Bristol - "... it is not a problem if an applicant has taken A Levels early. We will consider applicants with achieved or predicted grades of A*AA. If X were to apply having taken some A levels early, his application would not be at a disadvantage."

York - " ....we would not look unfavourably on a situation where a student completes only 2 A levels in Year 13. We would look at the whole picture and take into account that your son will have potentially completed 4-5 full A levels by the end of Year 13".

I have not yet had any responses saying that early A levels/not doing 3 x A2s in one sitting would be disadvantageous but will post if I do.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Thanks for that Bexley Mum :-) looking good for your ds which I'm sure is a huge relief :-)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Read the repsonses carefully ... none guarantee they won't ask for 3 A2s in Year 13 - if you read student responses on other websites you might find a different story.

Remember they are advertising and want applicants! After an application you often find a different story .... an A* in mathematics in Year 12 (which someone had who joined us) did not mean he was not asked for 3 further grades A*AA in addition.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I read the responses very carefully Guest 55. Why on earth do you think Admissions staff at reputable universities would try and mislead me??!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now