Midwifery through clearing?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
frosties

Midwifery through clearing?

Post by frosties »

Wondering if you can help me. My DS is taking her A2's this year and has changed her mind about the degree she wants to do. She's applied for physiotherapy and got offers, but has now changed her mind and wants to do midwifery.
Does anyone know what the chances are, of getting into midwifery through clearing?
Or, is there any other route she can take to get in this year, as she doesn't really want to take a gap year?
Thank you
hermanmunster

Re: Midwifery through clearing?

Post by hermanmunster »

I gather from some of the student forums that midwifery places almost never come up under clearing, appreciate your DD may not want to take a gap year but maybe it would be worth doing to so to get on the course she wants - perhaps working in a health related field - would be really good experience prior to her training .
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Could she try to change course at the places where she has offers?
solimum

Post by solimum »

Nursing and midwifery (anecdotally) often prefer applicants to have taken a practically-based gap year anyway . Maybe working as a care assistant in the UK for several months plus a voluntary spell in an overseas orphanage or similar might be good preparation. Best bet might be to speak to the relevant department at the uni where she already has the offer, and see if a transfer across after a year of physio training might be possible (there must after all be some overlap )or whether (as I suspect) she would need to make a fresh application It's to no one's benefit for her to start a course she's already got cold feet about.

This website (which I'm sure you've already seen) might have some useful links
http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by ... fery/faqs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nickiveg

Post by nickiveg »

I'm a midwife and do interviews and midwifery places wouldn't go into clearing too many applicants better to defer and apply again this September
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Nikiveg - can you give any good advice for prospective midwifery applicants? My God daughter has been unsuccessful this year and plans to reapply next year as she is also aware courses don't come through clearing.
nickiveg

Post by nickiveg »

Really know what a midwife is research research research , never mention one born every minute or liking babies or nursing and do some volunteering
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Thank you - good advice that could apply to most courses, research is often lacking. I think now she's 18 volunteering might be easier, she's probably on to that already, but I'll suggest it anyway - she is an experienced animal midwife and has been since primary age!

Do people really mention OBEM or Desperate Midwives or similar programs at interview or in personal statements? :shock:
nickiveg

Post by nickiveg »

They really do mention obem and some have now idea what a midwife is ! These are weeded out now so no interview will happen. A lot of unis do a maths test so she needs so know basics and all ask for a sent in essay ( will be given a topic and needs to be referenced ) and also one on the day a topic choice usually always midwifery base of course, usually why a midwife ? What does it mean to women or postnatal care what does it mean ? They do check spelling grammar on the day so will be marked down for this if poor. Midwifery is the hardest course to get in ( even as medicine ) as so many apply for very little places :( the volunteering bit it's just that she has made some effort most hospitals do a scheme now that she can access its a commitment but worth it or a local breast feeding group ( I have loads at mine) or children's centre or homestart. You can volunteer at 16 in the Nhs we love em ( free labour )
Hope this helps x
frosties

Post by frosties »

Thank you so much for the replies. That's so helpful.
Nickiveg, she was thinking of rejecting all her current offers and applying again. Is there any point in deferring if she hasn't applied for midwifery in the first place? She doesn't want to start her course and then try to transfer as she may not be able to.
Does maths A'Level help to get into midwifery?
Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now