nursing degree

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ginx

Re: nursing degree

Post by ginx »

That's lovely, Marigold. My daughter does sound similar to yours! The least academic of four, a middle child (if you can have one), she is a caring, kind person - and the whole family and friends would agree. Not much street cred, no make up and only a few friends (but good friends). She's not the popular one in the crowd but not disliked.

She only got level 3 in key stage 2 in English and is now wondering whether she should do Foundation, so she would be worried about doing any English test. What she fail to see, however many times I remind her, is how well she is doing, as she comes in most days with "guess what, I got an a/b/c in ..." and needs a huge confidence boost.

Her older brother's doing A levels a year above her. Her sister is doing well at the grammar school. Her youngest brother is bright.

Even now, I am tremendously proud of my daughter. She is working hard for her GCSE's, enjoys St John's Ambulance and working in a charity shop.

If she has a chance to interview, she should do just fine. You are right to be proud of your daughter - and what a worthwhile career.
KB

Post by KB »

St Johns is excellent experience. Even working in the kitchen and handing out refreshments at a home would add to experience.

I would sit down with DD and Google some institutions running the nursing courses and check out what they actually ask for. If there are some that look promising then email them with specifics.

I am sure there will be a route open to your DD but it's worth getting clarification early on so you can come up with a plan together.

If you and she really do decide it is too much then check out alternatives. There are lots of possibilities for her to use her talents in a meaningful way. She sounds delightful.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Plenty of student nurses come from alternative routes other than A level. Our local course wants 240 ucas points for a levels or a health and social care diploma, but will also accept an advanced GNVQ. I know of staff who have studied for the GNVQ part time whilst working as an HCA.
With regards to the OP, please dont forget that doctors and nurses are not the only professions in the nhs, maybe one of the AHP professions would interest her: physio, OT, podiatry, biomedical scientists, radiographers, to name just a few!
KB

Post by KB »

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.stepintothenhs.nhs.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by ... uirements/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of ideas - hope it helps DD see all the possibilities open to her.
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

I may have missed something Poochie - as I see your post has been edited - but why can't your child apply to more than one medical school?
KB

Post by KB »

I think the point was that she had assessed her grades against those required by the med schools and had decided that realistically she only stood a chance at one of them.
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

I think that was my point really - why wouldn't you apply to the one that you can? There are only 30 medical schools but the fact is they're all good and you end up with a medical degree that will be "acceptable" throughout the country - they're all great universities and in my opinion you can't get a bad medical degree and you'll end up a doctor. Which was the point of going.

Of course, getting in is notoriously hideous but that's another matter; unless you try how will you ever know? If you do well on the UKCat, you've increased your low odds you were on from the A1/A2 results and may get an interview and then you've really put yourself in the mix. It really does come down to really storming the UKcat if the A level results are not so good.