Engineering - Birmingham, Bath, Loughborough and Warwick

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Liz3

Re: Engineering - Birmingham, Bath, Loughborough and Warwick

Post by Liz3 »

The problem with a bachelors followed by a separate masters is that the masters then becomes a postgrad course and isn't eligible for the same funding, so best I think to set out on a masters course.
moose

Post by moose »

Can't comment on finances, but definitely an MEng is a very good idea, both from employment and getting chartered. I was one of the first to do a 5 year MEng course with industrial experience.
Thank you. Liz 3 is probably right. You would need to take a separate loan to to the postgraduate course or do it while working part time. It would be much harder. You might as well just go for it, results permitting!
KB

Post by KB »

Definitely go for MEng and for year in industry. However pretty much everywhere allow swooping during 1st year so its not set in stone on entry.

Chemical engineering - if yiliu have the grades for Oxbridge then Imperial is considered my many to be an even better option.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

the top 10 universities for Engineering and Technology are:
Cambridge, ICL, Oxford,Manchester,UCL, Edinburgh , Nottingham, Leeds, Southampton, Bristol. In that order

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/un ... me=3078946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ten universities most-often targeted by Britain’s top graduate employers
in 2013-2014 are Nottingham, Manchester, Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol, Bath,
Warwick, Leeds, Imperial College London, and University College London.In that rank order
(not specific to STEM subjects)

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport14.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It does seem to me that top employers are targeting a select handful of elite Universities
moved

Post by moved »

Aeronautical engineering. Any clues? Ideally with a year in France and links to industry. OK so I'm being demanding but this forum is a mine of information. :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try this website you can search on many different variables.

Unfortunately the data above is too general to be useful.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Imperial for aero any day...
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I have been researching this issue for sometime, my son in yr 11 wants to do Computer Science preferably at Manchester University since we could save some doss on rent ect but they demand AAB-A*AA as predicted entry requirements, my fear is it would be difficult for him to get such high grades at A2 and he would end up with 45k debt at a less thought of university and top employers will over -look his enthusiasm and industriousness, having looked at the issue very carefully I feel an apprenticeship probably would be better for him?
Last edited by Catseye on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
solimum

Post by solimum »

moved wrote:Aeronautical engineering. Any clues? Ideally with a year in France and links to industry. OK so I'm being demanding but this forum is a mine of information. :D
How about this one? Bristol
http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/2 ... =providers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Which A levels is he considering? Some of the new syllabuses start next September i.e. terminally examined.

I've been teaching long enough to know results are likely to dip as students will face longer exams testing two years work.

I'm not sure 'saving money' on accommodation is a good reason to just look locally ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now