Year abroad as part of university degree

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

Re: Year abroad as part of university degree

Post by Sally-Anne »

I was there in late June, and the weather was very pleasant indeed. Pretty much the same as a decent English summer.
KB

Post by KB »

Yes, much better time of year cost & weather wise.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Thank you for your replies KB and Sally-Anne.
I thought I'd mention you don't need to have a year abroad as part of your University degree. My cousins daughter wanted to do History and French as her degree. Following the admissions tests and interviews she was only offered a place to do history which she accepted. But she took a gap year between her second and third years and got a French language course at a Parisian university whilst working as a English tutor to two children in the evenings.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
KB

Post by KB »

Sounds like she used initiative to get where she wanted but it shouldn't be taken for granted that departments will allow a year out during a degree course.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I had a year abroad as part of my degree. Someone on the course fell in love during her year abroad and remained abroad with her young man for what was the third year for the rest of us; then returned to complete her degree when the first flushes of infatuation had worn off and they could bear to be parted for long enough for her to do so. I don't think she pretended it was anything other than '(com)passionate leave'. She soothed her aching heart by having a very public affair with a married lecturer from another department when she came back, but that is by the by.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Amber :lol: :lol:

It was all an 'education' I suppose!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Its difficult to work out and best left to the imagination who is doing the educating and who is the educator. :? Whether it be the one who fell in love,the young man or the married lecturer. :wink:
Its funny the memories the word Paris can evoke and the passions it stirs.
Its all part of the education experience!!!

It was all an 'education' I suppose![/quote]I'd like to know the degree you get awarded?
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I took a year out ( what should have been my final year) to have my daughter!
Fatandfifty

Post by Fatandfifty »

HNY. It has been many years since I have viewed this site but I like to 'look in' occasionally. My eldest daughter is currently on the Year Abroad scheme from Leeds Uni. She got given her place this time last year. She packed for departure in July with a large suitcase and a return ticket. She sorted out her mobile with her provider and photocopied her passport, health insurance, student visa and flight receipt. This was all needed in order to claim back the monies from the Student Loan Company. On arrival at Griffin University, Gold Coast she moved in and sorted out getting an Australian bank account, which took a while. Trams to uni are about £10 p/w to get to uni. Within two weeks she got a job in a Seafood restaurant making 10 dollars an hour as she realised Oz is expensive!! All her friends got jobs really quickly before the others had got their act together. Although she felt she was missing out a bit on the Oz experience she has managed to travel to Bali in Spring break and then Gili Islands for a week in October. She has now broken up for the summer, quit her job to travel to Bankok, PHi Phi, Cambodia and Veitnam. She said it is fantastic to do all this whilst that side of the world. She will return to Brisbane to continue her last two terms. Word of warning she didn't take enough clothes for their winter in July and August. I am so happy to hear from her constantly through Whatsapp a FREE messaging service and Snapchat (photos of her cuddling kangaroos). We FaceTime or Skype often also. She will be returning to Leeds in September to finish her degree with such a library of such amazing adventure. Good luck to your offspring! Such An opportunity.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Yoyo it truly was a wonderful year away from university for you and life changing.
F and F like all parents we can only encourage and support our offspring in the steps they take in life.We have to help them make the most of the oppurtunities they get.
My legs are hurting from playing badminton today the second half with my youngest 10 year old.One of the extra curricular activities for choosing her new secondary school.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now