Cambridge anyone?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Cambridge anyone?

Post by moved »

Not us this year thankfully, but several friends' DC received their responses to their Cambridge interviews today.

One got a 3A* offer and another only A*AA, same course, different colleges. The other didn't receive an offer at all.
SteveDH

Re: Cambridge anyone?

Post by SteveDH »

Been there done that... and just got back from lugging our DD's stuff up 3 flights of steps as another term starts.

sometimes the same college can make different offers to different candidates for the same course.
it all depends...

btw were any of those pool offers?
moved

Post by moved »

No, two offers direct and the other didn't make the pool.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Yes we too have just come back from the said lugging up stairs to her college rooms.
The general Cambridge offer is A*AA at the moment, and each college is entirely different, especially with the difference in admissions tests etc.

My DD had two interviews, a test, a timed essay, and work sent in from school, so it was very rigorous even before the exam results.....no one in her subject was expected more than A*AA but most achieved more.

She was so looking forward to returning today - finally my girl has found 'her people' and she is so relieved. The workload in her college is insane but the opportunities both academic and otherwise are just ridiculously rich, she feels so lucky and blessed.

Good luck to your DC when they get there!
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

you may find this interesting

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduat ... quirements
and click on 'Admissions tests and written work'
and try the same for your chosen subject.

this may also be of interest
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduat ... tatistics/

My DD avoided colleges that wanted STEP or a TSA, and even though she was pooled and then fished by a college that requires a TSA wasn't then asked to do one.

We went to a freshers parents lunch at MY DD's college yesterday, and was discussing the lugging of luggage with another parent who was saying it almost killed them even though their DD was only on the 2nd floor... and then they mentioned that their hall had a lift... my arms are still in pain..
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Unfortunately grade requirements seem to have increased again this year for Oxbridge. DD has several friends who didn't get Cambridge offers this weekend :(

Oxford is offering with A* A* A conditions for its maths courses this year - the first time it's asked for two A*s for any subject, I understand.
Drama 797

Post by Drama 797 »

My son is in his 5th year of his medicine degree at Cambridge. Back in 2010 his offer was A*AAA, although it wasn't subject specific. Worth noting for those considering 4 A2's, that any offer may require top grades in all 4.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

KB

Post by KB »

To those who missed out on offers please keep your heads up.
Every year a number of very talented students will be missed by Oxbridge but it isn't the end academically.
There are a number of very strong non- Oxbridge universities which provide an excellent academic experience and where bright and committed students can thrive.
If you still feel you have missed out on the Oxbridge experienced there is always the possibility of postgraduate study.
For those who really believe its Oxbridge or bust you can nail those A* in the summer and try again next year.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

DD2 was lucky enough to get an offer for Vet Med. If your child is doing any course which requires the BMAT exam please DO NOT LISTEN to anybody, including teachers, who tells you that this exam cannot be studied or tutored for. IT CAN.
DD was very lucky in that her score was probably the reason she got offered a place but she knows of others who did not take such a cynical approach to the BMAT and suffered because of it.
Good luck to everyone else's DCs.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now