Meningitis W vaccination

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pleased as punch

Re: Meningitis W vaccination

Post by pleased as punch »

PurpleDuck wrote:
Amber wrote:I have a printout of my Y12 son's complete vaccination history in front of me. Wrt to meningitis he had -
Men C when he was about 18 months old
Meningitec MEN6 (Men C) as single dose when he was 14
Booster of same when he was 15
DS had Men C only at 2, 3 and 4 months and then the Men ACWY recently. He didn't have any boosters for Men C as a toddler and I hope it doesn't matter if he has had the ACWY now.

There is also a new Men B vaccination, given to babies since last September - will teenagers have a chance to have it at some point, too? Will they need it?

I have also noticed on NHS website that there is a Pneumococcal (PCV) vaccine for babies which must be relatively new - does anyone know whether it can be given to older children and whether it would be useful for them?

It's really sad news about the pupil who died from meningitis; I wonder whether it's the one for which they hadn't had a chance to get vaccinated yet :( . Hopefully, the more children get vaccinated, the rarer such cases will become...
The Sixth Former was a young lady. My thoughts are with her family and friends tonight. May their happy memories keep them strong at this devastating time.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now