How much money to give student for his maintenance?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moose

How much money to give student for his maintenance?

Post by moose »

Please help! How much can student live on after the accomodation is paid?
Food, transport, etc.
Mine is going to Manchester to live in a City campus acommodation.
Any advice will be welcome. I dont want to give him too much or too little..
quasimodo

Re: How much money to give student for his maintenance?

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/exper ... ing-costs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above are only estimates and the income is dependent on the amount paid by the student loans company in loans or maintenance grants (the latter being on the way out),the manchester bursary,any scholarship income and the contribution from parents.The other question is whether your ds or dd will get a part time job?

After you have worked these out you will have an idea as to what the parental contribution needs to be.

The assumption I have made is that the university is Manchester the income will vary if it is Manchester Metropolitan or Salford or one of the Colleges.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I decided on a fixed sum - ie I paid for the accommodation then whatever they got in the loan was for the rest of the costs
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hermanmunster wrote:I decided on a fixed sum - ie I paid for the accommodation then whatever they got in the loan was for the rest of the costs
We have decided on the same for DS1, going to Birmingham, (although DH is still thinking about continuing his not massive by some folk's standards allowance as he only qualifies for the maintenance loan and not the grant). He also has an ISA, the interest from which he opted to have paid monthly - I hope it won't come to £25 a month being the difference between toast and toast with something on it for every meal, but every little helps, as they say.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

System did seem to work, maintenance loan alone was enough - though I paid for a few train tickets etc and no alcohol was purchased
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hermanmunster wrote:System did seem to work, maintenance loan alone was enough - though I paid for a few train tickets etc and no alcohol was purchased
I'm afraid the last one is unlikely to obtain here, but one can only hope that 'responsible drinking' is one lesson from home that he has taken on board :lol: . Girlfriend will be a two hour train journey away in the opposite direction from home, so travel (assuming the requisite free time, given that he will have significant lab hours etc) may be an issue.

He will have other money which he is in the process of retrieving from defunct NS&I bonds, but we have suggested that he keeps that somewhere at arm's length, so to speak.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

We are paying DD's accommodation - the maintenance loan would pay about 2/3 of the cost of accommodation, and she will have the loan to live on - across the holidays too, when I hope she will do some paid work.
scary mum
moose

Post by moose »

Thank you. I also thought the maintenance loan should be sufficient. We have set up 2 bank acc for him. One which the loan will be credited into 3 times a year, the other, current account, which he would transfer money into on weekly or monthly basis. This would help him to keep control of his expenditure. Hopefully!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

And not forgetting a lot of us worked whilst at uni too - not just in the holidays. Students can do bar work or waiting tables or whatever, just like they do in America. Saves on the drinks bill too!
Not easy, but before we all cry out that the students courses are too heavy, I know of several medical students who worked as carers while doing a medical degree. Not saying we deprive them of living allowance but it is possible to minimise loan and/or have a bit of fun spending money by working the odd shift.
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

My daughter (in Plymouth) gets £150 a month from her Dad. Her Loan pays her accommodation but she also works in Plymouth - not loads of hours as she is a swimming teacher which is relatively well paid and then does loads of hours working at the same thing back home every holiday.

She had saved loads before she went to Uni 2 years ago and still has that cushion in her account. I pay very little for her in terms of extras - she seems to be able to cover it herself.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now