Missing them already...

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tense

Missing them already...

Post by tense »

My DD will be off to Uni this September, results permitting of course!

She is absolutely ready for it & I have no worries at all about her going - but I will miss her terribly :( Every now & then I look at her & actually get a lump in my throat about the thought of her being away! A bit pathetic I know...I'm sure she will have an amazing time.

Is it just me or is anyone else feeling like this?!
2childmum

Re: Missing them already...

Post by 2childmum »

DS isn't due to leave until Sep.2016 and I'm feeling sad already - only made more real by visiting unis with him recently. We spent several really nice days together and I enjoyed his company, which only emphasised how much I will miss him when he actually goes to one of them!
mad?

Post by mad? »

Howling is tears already :(
mad?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Letting them go is hard - they are our 'babies' - but they do still come home for vacations.

It is interesting how you get into a different 'rhythm' when they are around and the food bills/washing increases. :lol:

Get them driving before they go if you can ... it makes such a difference.

Think about going to uni as a gradual way of them leaving home. We all want them to be independent, happy adults eventually don't we?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My son left 18 years ago this September, I still cry about it now.

Daughter is due to go next september, I'm crying about it already.

We are booking a holiday for next September. Obviously we don't know when said daughter will be leaving to go to uni - we hope it's whilst we're away, it would be too traumatic for everyone otherwise.. Thankfully, my son's father (who we're all very close with - still :lol: ) will take daughter to uni. I expect he'll cry too.

It's hard :cry:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Lalala, I can't hear you :lol: :roll:
scary mum
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I keep dropping hints to DS that Manchester Uni would be good for him, he could come home when he wanted and still have a cheep pad in the City for his private life :wink: :oops:

but I think he is adamant to try for the London Unis or USA universities :shock:
marigold

Post by marigold »

DD2 off in September too, she did the IB so we have had her results and she is safely in.

I am howling as well but you will not be able to hear me over DD1 shouting and shrieking. She has moved back home to a local job follwing graduation and there is no food in the fridge ie food she fancies, DS is always in the shower when she wants one, I am always watching the Tour de France when she wants to catch up on Love Island and many, many other inconveniences which I am hoping will build up so much she will move out and give us all some peace (only very slightly joking about this!).
KB

Post by KB »

Snowdrops - only a month and a bit to go! Have you got your hat :)

I still feel sick thinking about when we left my now grown up DCs. It was really awful, no point pretending otherwise!

Of course it would be much more sad if they weren't able to go but that doesn't make it hurt less at the time. Still, I don't think I could have let anyone else take them.

My experience was even once we started to adjust it was much harder with DDs but perhaps it's just about how much time you spend with them, whichever gender.

If they go to Oxbridge they may still be at home over half the year but then while they are away there is little time for visits. With one DC we were close enough to make brief visits to go out for meals so that enabled us to stay in touch during term. If they are struggling a bit its tricky to know if visits are helpful though.

Beware the first Christmas holiday. They have become used to student life and may take time to adjust to family living and without realising it you may have got a bit used to less noise and more food in the fridge by Friday. Going back in January is also horrid by the way.

I think it's one of those things its probably best not to think about - not sure you can make it less bad come the time however much you mentally prepare. Enjoy the summer and adopt scary's approach :)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

No hat! Not wearing a hat at all. I do have everything ready though, which is somewhat of a surprise to me :lol:

My son and his lovely fiancee are getting married in Simonstone Hall - made infamous by Jeremy Clarkson (but they'd booked it two years previously, so it's co-incidental - honest :lol: ). We have the hall for the whole weekend so no worries about drinking, transport, weather or hats! The views down upon the Dales from up there are quite magnificent.

This is my only son, and the one referenced above. I have waited a long time for him to get married - here's hoping it's not such a long wait until I'm a granny! (However, she is 8 years younger and still working on her career, so it could be longer than a year or two :cry: ).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now