medicine application interview course recommended?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hopeful5

medicine application interview course recommended?

Post by hopeful5 »

Hi there,
I was interested to glean some information from parents with dc who have applied to do medicine across a range of bmat and ukcat unis including oxbridge. Did your dc do an interview course? What did they think of it? Did your dc not do a course and then feel at a disadvantage?

In summary am trying to find out if an interview course is an essential thing to do, a nice to have or just a waste of time and money. There are so many available on the market and they are so expensive. Is it worth spending the money? Will I regret not sending my dd on one?
Many thanks.
Hopeful5
Drama 797

Re: medicine application interview course recommended?

Post by Drama 797 »

Hi Hopeful,
I'm not sure how helpful my reply will be, as my DS's experience was 6 years ago and things may well have changed. He applied to both BMAT and UKCAT unis from state grammar school and did not subscribe to any interview course. He had interviews at Cambridge, Birmingham and St Andrews, receiving offers from them all. He was also offered a place at Edinburgh, but at that time they did not interview for medicine, although this may have since changed. He had high BMAT and UKCAT scores and 5 A grades at AS including general studies, he was also a member of the school debating team, which may have helped with confidence issues. He also had a mock interview at school.
Hope this gives you some advice.

Drama
hopeful5

Post by hopeful5 »

Thank you,
Sorry to have replied so late. I only just saw your reply.
Thanks very much thats very reassuring
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

I booked one with ISC medical -a purely spontaneous action as ds1 has a couple of interviews shortly. ISC do cover both traditional and MMI training.
But from the feedback I received from ds1 was that you can get that information from a text book. Very disappointed. Sadly, a waste of our money. His school organises much better ones.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now