Oxford publish sample interview papers + selectivity at 11+

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: Oxford publish sample interview papers + selectivity at

Post by Amber »

Can I just say that not every very bright and academically able child wants to go to Oxbridge; nor should they be made to feel that they 'should'. It isn't for everyone and there is no shame in not actually aspiring to this.
supermummy

Post by supermummy »

Amber wrote:Can I just say that not every very bright and academically able child wants to go to Oxbridge; nor should they be made to feel that they 'should'. It isn't for everyone and there is no shame in not actually aspiring to this.
+1
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I tell DDs to find their own interest and passion then aspire to the best place for that, not a name. That said, a good name can be a nice extra if it works for the particular subject
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

I like the idea of Oxford or Cambridge, if it's possible. I like the tutorial system of teaching, the premium associated with the name (career, opportunities), the academic excellence they attract, the Masters that comes with a First.
Having said that, I think I'd be pleased if dc were to ace at another university and progressed on to further study at Oxbridge on that merit. But then that's a long way off, I know little about Uni's these days and it might have changed quite somewhat by then. MOOCs notwithstanding.
Sometimes I wonder if I'll understand or even recognise the world by the time my dc's grown up!

BTW I was reflecting on earlier discussion.
Scholars probabaly do want enthusiasts to follow in their own footsteps, but then not all who go to university intend to be academics. No, very many are acquianting themselves with the skills and knowledge in order to take the theory out into the world and make practical use of it. What's more is that some are just exercising their ability to engage and adapt and will later lead or facilitate the work of others. Maybe that's a waste of academics' time, maybe not - if society (we all) benefit from that then may be not.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I know two people (very well) who graduated from Oxford, neither are academics and neither lead or facilitate. At the end of the day it's just another college and the degrees they hold (a 2:1 and a 1st) are just bits of paper.
They are both very nice people though, one is incredibly grounded, says he is dim in most respects but good at maths and physics, the other is just away with fairies most of the time bless her. Both have good jobs, but work equally alongside people who didn't go to Oxbridge.
I know a third, also very well, and to be honest he is a bit of an arse, but a,very wealthy one, which would have happened without any degree as he is a money man.

There is far too much vicarious aspiration going on imo, not just on here but amongst the parents of boys my sons school with. I wonder if that is due to parents regretting the path they themselves followed, believing if only they'd had the opportunity bla bla bla, or pride. I am aware of two boys who spend much of their time feeling pressured, dejected and fed up as they follow the path chosen for them, I hope that it's all worth it.
I sometimes wish we were a little more ambitious as a family, but those brief seconds quickly fade into idleness and complacency again.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

SB3
The south-east is practically a different country to me, from the neo-post-industrial north.
In my area low-aspiration is far too often the norm!

We are the dreamers of dreams...
drummer

Post by drummer »

silverysea wrote:I wonder if the cost time and complexity of selecting in this way actually makes much difference- if you took a bunch of A* students chosen conventionally and put them in that same environment, how different would they be from the ones that were lucky in the random choice of question, and by chance on the day looking and feeling their best at the moment of the interview/question.
I think this view misrepresents/misunderstands the interview.

The questions aren't meant to trip the candidates up and there are no 'right' answers. It is about trying to see how the candidate thinks, how they respond to challenge, can they back their arguments up, can they incorporate new information and change tack accordingly. Hopefully it drills down past the pat answers or the intensely prepared students. It is also a good test of their basic subject knowledge as they bring to bear what they know in answering some of the more domain specific answers. Given the tutorial system then it makes sense to select candidates that are more likely to thrive in that environment. If a candidate dries at a particular question they will try a different tack, if they repeatedly dry then that won't be good but neither will it be bad luck at the 'random' question they were asked.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now