Oxbridge and DAO + End of an Era

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BarnetDad

Oxbridge and DAO + End of an Era

Post by BarnetDad »

Hello all - long time no see/read...

Just been hearing about something that piqued my interest and wondered if anyone here knew much about it - that DAO students have been seeing an uncommonly high level of pre-interview rejections from Cambridge this year (haven't heard about Oxford). So much so that rumours are that the school have written to the University to ask why. Theories such as "they've been over-estimating predicted grades at A-level" through to "DAO have dropped AS early, and Cambridge don't like that" have been abounding, but I'm not sure that I buy any of that. Not sure I buy the story at all, really, but one or two here will know (and will have analysed it to the nth degree!) I am sure.

On an unrelated matter I know that there is a bunch of us with DD's currently in year 13 and the end of an era approaches. A few on here (or used to be on here) I know had DD's that are very good friends with my DD1 and took part in "Joseph" recently - maybe the last show I'll ever see involving my offspring - what a thought! It's been nice knowing you all....
mad?

Re: Oxbridge and DAO + End of an Era

Post by mad? »

BarnetDad wrote: On an unrelated matter I know that there is a bunch of us with DD's currently in year 13 and the end of an era approaches. A few on here (or used to be on here) I know had DD's that are very good friends with my DD1 and took part in "Joseph" recently - maybe the last show I'll ever see involving my offspring - what a thought! It's been nice knowing you all....
:(
mad?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Just been hearing about something that piqued my interest and wondered if anyone here knew much about it - that DAO students have been seeing an uncommonly high level of pre-interview rejections from Cambridge this year (haven't heard about Oxford). So much so that rumours are that the school have written to the University to ask why.
May be Cambridge has filled Barnet's quota from the other school?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There's no need to leave when your children leave school ... plenty of people still need help and advice.
copella

Post by copella »

Tiffinboys, DAO is in Herts not Barnet :)

Perhaps dropping the As level and only doing 3 A levels is the issue. At Latymer the pupils are still selecting 4 and doing one for AS level and going onto do the 3/4 full A levels.

Given that DAO has successfully managed to get a number of students into Oxford and Cambridge in the past I don't think it could just be down to overestimation of grades.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Tiffinboys, DAO is in Herts not Barnet :)
I know, but Cambridge may be going by this forum's classifications.
copella

Post by copella »

Of course the power of this forum :lol: :lol:
moved

Post by moved »

Perhaps it is a weaker cohort - this happens sometimes. Entrance exams can vary in difficulty and style leading to a variation in cohorts.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Cambridge has traditionally always over offered , they cannot discriminate against those just doing the linear A levels over AS levels that's why there are specific entrance exams for each subjects now, for example for CS it used to be STEP but now it is CSAT(computer science aptitude test).

They may just be bringing 'offers' into line with realist expectations and stopping the practice of over-offering- they now expect most of those given offers to satisfy the conditions of A*A*A in relevant subjects.
moved

Post by moved »

All of the applicants that I know of who applied to Cambridge this year took an entrance test first. This is the same process as for Oxford and can be problematic socially as certain schools put a huge amount of effort into preparing for these exams and others none.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now